Notices

My quality UK gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2001, 08:13 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I reported a problem with my 3rd gear catching about a year ago....no fault found by dealer though.
This problem is still there !
Now, this may be a dumb question but is the following 'grinding' to be expected:
If I fully press the clutch and move the gear lever into 3rd, then slightly move the lever half in/out of 3rd a couple of times I eventually start grinding gears like the synco is not there !

I was just testing this today to try and understand what the catching is when I change from 2nd to 3rd...and also found it in 4th

Oh...and another quality feature, 5th gear has recently gone stiff to engage/disengage

Car is a MY99 turbo with 17.5K miles.

Any ideas/information welcomed.

Cheers
Pete (...hmmmm STI....tempting)
Old 24 April 2001, 10:42 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Pete
It could possibly be the clutch dragging i.e. not disengaging completly, especially as you say 5th is becoming baulky. I have a 99my UK too and the synchro. performance has always been poor, especially when cold with 5th heavy to engage compared to the other gears (and crunches at anything above 4500 unless I hesitate slightly) - What makes you think an STi will be any better?
JohnD
Old 25 April 2001, 08:31 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

John
I thought the scooby clutch was self adjusting ?
Interesting that you also have a 'feature rich' gearbox
Have you mentioned these problems to your dealer ?
The reason I was hinding at an STI is because I understood they have uprated gearboxes...i.e. parts that are fit for the job !

Old 25 April 2001, 09:05 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete
The thought of the dealer laying a finger on my car except in an emergency gives me nightmares! I am quite capable of all the usual service procedures but would think twice about stripping the g/box. When the oil has warmed up the box is o.k.(except for 5th) Its fairly unlikely that your clutch is malajusted although dragging can be caused by other things e.g. sticking centre plate etc. I`m going to give your "3rd gear" experiment a try tomorrow - will let you know the result.
You may be right about the STi box although many parts are standardised between UK and Jap spec. driveline?
There has been a fair amount of comment regarding g/box and synchro performance on previous threads- might be worth a search?
Regards - JohnD
Old 25 April 2001, 11:47 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know how you feel about the dealer thing ...half my reported problems are still not fixed to my satisfaction
I look forward to your 3rd gear test results
Old 26 April 2001, 09:30 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I had a problem with 3rd gear, basically it was catching going from 2nd to 3rd and it did this all the time. It had done this from about 2-3k miles. I did try a better gearbox oil and this did help a bit but I got sick of it so my old dealer tried £700's worth of parts but it wasn't any better so I found a better dealer.

I also had clutch judder so I'm now on my 2nd gearbox and clutch. They are both now 10k miles old and wearing in nicely although not as sweet as I would like, but then they do have to put up with quite a bit of power

DaveW

MY99 (with a full spares package in the garage)
Old 26 April 2001, 11:50 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dave, sounds like I have have same problem as your old box

Not so bad if its a company car...but when you've forked out from your hard earned its a real pi55er

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2001, 11:20 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

Pete
You say that "the dealer found no fault"
Did they remove the box and strip it down?
Or did they take your scoob for a `test` drive?
I can say that there bull****ting you! The scoobs have a definate synchro problem.
I had my box done,crunching in third and fifth and from fifth to third.A mate of mine who repaired the box is a gearbox engineer and he does about three a week!
Since repair,no probs,just a nice tight box! (NOW THERES A DIRTY WORD!!)
Old 27 April 2001, 11:28 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveW:
[B]Pete,

"my old dealer tried £700's worth of parts"

I can honestly tell you that 99% of the time its only the syncro rings that are at fault.........PRICE £17.35 each +vat!
Old 01 May 2001, 10:43 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

My MY00 has fab gear change except when engaging first only goes in 70% of the time 1st time. Otherwise i pop it into 2nd and it's ok. Been in local dealer and came back the same with quote "seems ok to me as any other..."
Matthew

Old 02 May 2001, 10:53 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete
Sorry for the delay in letting you know the results of me trying your 3rd gear test. I tried it and- err, no it dosen`t do it! Good news for me I suppose but not really what you wanted to hear? Hope you get it sorted soon,- let us know the outcome?
Regards - JohnD
Old 03 May 2001, 12:00 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for doing the test John !
No, its not what I wanted to hear

Wayne, the dealer just did a 'test drive' of it.......
Interesting point about the syncro rings....perhaps I should mention that.
Except in my experience the Dealer+mechanics do not like it when I appear to know more than them
They are aware of ScoobyNet but dismiss it as presenting inaccurate information i.e. I'm a Subaru dealer (GOD) so don't tell me whats wrong with your car

John, another thing I'm aware of is a possible clutch drag (as you suggested in 1st reply). If I attempt to downchange to 1st or 2nd (in traffic) the gear will not engage easily without the car stopping.
Does anyone else experience this ?

Pete (well chuffed with paying full UK price)
Old 03 May 2001, 05:19 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete
Changing down to 2nd is no problem at any speed, from 2nd to 1st is ok below 5mph, anything more needs too much of a push for my liking, I would therefore double-de-clutch to make sure.
John

PS Just a thought - Try bleeding the clutch hydraulic system, any air in the system would possibly have the effect you describe, although it would have to be a fair amount I would have thought. I once had a car whose clutch master cylinder allowed fluid to leak back this had the interesting effect of allowing the clutch to gradually engage whilst the pedal was still fully depressed! This could be a little hairy at road junctions waiting to join the flow!

[This message has been edited by JohnD (edited 03 May 2001).]