Notices

Bit of a direction problem!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2001, 09:19 AM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Slight moment yesterday, approaching roundabout at end of dual carriageway with about quarter mile to go, doing approx 75.
Steering wheel suddenly would not turn clockwise but Ok anticlockwise. A slight steer to the left and it would not correct back to right. The road bends to the right approaching the roundabout so I had no option but to brake and gently go straight onto the verge and stop. As soon as the car stopped the steering freed up and was OK. Drove the 30 miles home but no further problems. I'm now some what worried this will happen again, I've visually checked around and can't see anything wrong. Anybody got an idea what might have caused this. 95WRX. Downpipe changed last week but it's properly lagged so I can't see heat being an issue and I've done about 250 miles since then with no problems.
Cheers

Dave

Old 25 April 2001, 09:07 PM
Stephen Moore
Scooby Regular

Had the same thing with a 205 once,try WD40 on the steering UJ , that should do the trick.
Old 26 April 2001, 04:57 PM
Driftmeister
Scooby Newbie

Hello Dave,

Now that sounds like a scary moment.

I had the downpipe changed on my Sti v4 a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the steering was catching on something afterwards. Took it back to garage and the mounting bracket for the old downpipe/heat shield had cracked around the fixing nut and was catching on the steering coloumn. This was pulled out and problem sorted.

Perhaps without the weight of the std downpipe on the bracket it is allowed to vibrate freely hence premature cracking and dislocating.

Hope this helps and please be careful until it is sorted.

Sam
Old 26 April 2001, 05:39 PM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've had the car up on ramps for inspection and there is nothing obviuosly catching or in a position where it could have caught. It has bee suggested that it may have been caused by a sticking non-return valve in the power steering. This may be true as yesterday (having been all OK for 3days) from cold, the steering felt very heavy (as in no power assist), this cleared after about 300 yards and is OK again now.
It's certainly entertaining, I find myself checking to make sure it will steer both ways before I get to a corner!!!

Does anyone know about this non-return valve? Is there one? Is it in the PS pump or in the rack?

All help gratefully received!

Cheers

Dave
Old 26 April 2001, 06:08 PM
pmr147
Scooby Regular

SOUNDS MORE LIKE THE STEERING UJ STARTING TO SEIZE UP
Old 28 April 2001, 09:50 PM
GrahamF
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that a seized UJ would stop the steering turning in either direction. I would say a faulty valve in the rack was favourite

Graham