Notices

New Scooby WRX (MY01)

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2001, 09:05 PM
George
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone own a new WRX MY01? Has anyone carried mods to give it back a little bit of the original cars punch. Please share experiences and observations if u have because i am looking to modify my own WRX.
Old 15 March 2001, 02:18 AM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

I do own one. I ordered a BPM Downpipe, Single cat, and Full exhaust in stainless. Not here yet. I'll let ya know as soon as I can.

Ken
Old 15 March 2001, 07:59 AM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes George ..I have a DBM Wagon MY01 standard trim.

My advice would be to go with the standard set up for a few months / a year maybe and then if you need more, go for the upgrades at that point ...PPP / Scoobysport whatever. In a years time, I'm sure there will be more choice of upgrades anyway!!

Old 15 March 2001, 09:44 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I agree with Richie,

Ive got a MY01 WRX. I too am positively druling at the potential that can be unleashed with a few mods. Theres a thread going on in the GENERAL section about the PPP and WRX v UK Turbo. Read them. Lots said about how restrictive the exhaust is on the car - to pass the new "world" legislation, so subaru have spent $$ on the engine, improving it no end just to keep the car at the same BHP as the old one. Pete Croney of Scoobysport said that if you remove most of this noise and emissions stuff you can then use the potential of the engine.

Im split at the moment between a full exhaust or the new PPP. Both will make a HUGE difference - just want to see how huge the PPP is!

Get a test drive before you buy. A lot of whats available may not suit your driving style - do you want a revver or a low down grunter?

Jza
Old 15 March 2001, 08:45 PM
George
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies. In response to Jza i would prefer to aim more for a bit more low down power as this is what the car lacks. It is not keeping with the fairly linear power curve after about 2400 rpm so that is what i am aiming for. I emailed a couple of tuning companies and they recommended that a filter and exhaust sytem would help. Although one pretty well known company said these upgrades would improve power higher in the rev range and not lower down? There recommendation was to wait for there possumlink. Could another consideration be that the engine still needs a bit of loosening up?
Cheers
George
Old 16 March 2001, 10:25 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

As i said - exhausts tend (not all - so no flames) to move the power up the range. Im sure Pete Croneys new Scoobysport exhaust adds power everywhere - the swapping of the downpipe makes a huge difference!

Low down grunt the ECU is a good bet - Look at the PPP figures - 50 lb/ft torque more than an STI up to 5000!

Jza