Notices

ABS Light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2003, 12:26 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

5000 miles back my beloved and since closed Scooby dealer told me my rear pads were 80% worn. Hoping to make it to the next service I carried on driving up until Wednesday this week. As I was slowly approaching speed bumps (aarrghh) I noticed feedback off the brake pedal - like a small vibration with a bit of noise coming from the front (well it sounds like its from the front)...

Anyway - right now as we speak someone is fitting new pads for me on the back...

I noticed though when I dropped her off that the ABS light was on.

Is this going to be the brake pad issue, or have a i got a more serious problem that involves a remortgage?

Thanks
Old 25 October 2003, 12:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

The handbook states the following:-

If the warning light behaves as follows, the abs system may not work properly.

1. the warning light does not come on when the ignition switch is turned to the on position.

2. the warning light comes on when the ignition switch is turned to the on position but it does not go out even when the vehicle speed exceeds approx 12kmh (8mph).

3. the warning light comes on during driving.

The book also states that when the abs light comes on, the abs function shuts down, however the normal operation of the braking system isnt effected, it then says go and get your abs system checked out and repaired.

It could be a sensor but you havnt stated which year your car is or which model, the earlier cars had 2 circuit abs, then they went to 3 circuit abs and now are 4 circuit abs (2 is both front wheels operate together as do both rears, 3 is both fronts are independent, the rears operate together and 4 is that all wheels are independent).

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 10/25/2003 12:39:23 PM]
Old 25 October 2003, 12:40 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Cheers Tony

Its a 99v - didnt want the garage ringing me up telling me I had to have £300 worth of work doing - ie praying on my naivity.