Notices

'UNICHIP' FITTED

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2000, 06:40 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have already posted this in another thread but it strayed from the origional topic, so i thought i'd start a new one.

I've just had a 'Unichip' and electroic boost controller fitted to my STI2, when it was Dyno'd at the end it only came up with 260bhp , should i be concerned?
I had it Dyno'd at PE when it was standard and it read 279bhp! Both times ive been using s-unleaded,but now ive got a couple of Broquet in the tank aswell as the usual breathing/exhaust mods.
Has anyone got any ideas? it does feel faster at the top end but doesn't feel that smooth on hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.
Cheers....JAMES.
P.S.Had the bumpsteer done aswell and its bl@@dy exellent!
Old 13 December 2000, 09:34 AM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Question

Question , were you the person with the coil packs that where knackered ? as I was up at PS last week and they mentioned that they had done a Uni-chip on a STI2 and found the car had the same symptons as when I had the MoTeC fitted . If it was you then have you had the packs replaced , taken it back to be checked? It is very difficult to set up when it is mis-firing .

As for your other power figs you can not compare rolling roads . Temp , humidity and millibar readings on the days will have been different and all effect the readings . From my experience , my STI2 put out 279 on their rollers with an exhaust and an Apexi AFC .
If you are still not happy , go back to PE for a power run this will give you a better idea of the difference in power the mods have done .
Hope this helps a bit Dave
Old 13 December 2000, 09:47 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I think it's a commonly known fact that Power Engineering's rollers read higher! As to say which is more accurate, that can't be said!!

The problem is replicating exactly the same conditions. You can really only use as a sort of guideline, but don't read too much into it!!!

If you are happy with the improvement in performance, torque, etc, then who cares that it reads 260bhp. At the end of the day, if it's mapped safely and drives well, enjoy it!!!

Andy - Making do with 240bhp!!
Old 13 December 2000, 07:51 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Dave, Yes that was me and yes PS replaced them before it was mapped.
I had thought about the difference's in conditions, rolling roads etc, but also thought that perhaps it was a little too much gap between the two figures considering one was standard and one is reasonably tuned.
Im going to try it with octane booster to see if it will smooth out 1st and 2nd gear acceleration, then like you say if im still not convinced i might take a trip back down to PS.
It is an improvement, maybe i was expecting too much!?
Cheer for the input....JAMES.
P.S. Andy what car are you running at 240bhp? an STI?
Old 13 December 2000, 11:11 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

James,

It's a MY99 UK car, with just bretahing mods. A ScoobySport backbox, ScoobySport downpipe, Mangex mid-section (with resonator) and a Ram Pod air inductor.

I've been to two rolling road days at PowerStation, and the first time showed 239bhp, and the second 236bhp. Both times I was running NORMAL unleaded.