Notices

Blitz dual turbo timer

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2000, 02:35 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be a general lack of interest about these but I'm going to post this anyway!

My DTT is now fitted and fully operational. It's showing a peak boost of 1.0 kg/cm2 so all's OK.

I find knowing the boost pressure is useful for my driving:
a) So that I can 'prepare' for overtaking and avoid turbo-lag.
b) To conserve fuel - I can avoid using the turbo when cruising or in traffic.

The interesting thing about the DTT is the way it calculates the time. Based on boost alone it only gets to about 40 seconds. When the ECU speed is included, at 60 mph plus the time gets up to about 2 mins.

I have found that after a good blast down the motorway or using lost of boost on a journey, by the time I get home or to work, during which the last few miles is 30/40mph limit and I'm not using the turbo at all, the time gets back to 10 to 20 seconds.

So in conclusion, the timer generally doesn't make me wait, and it's nice to know that next time I stop for fuel at a motorway service station, or needs to stop right after a good blast, the timer is there to protect the turbo.
Old 12 July 2000, 03:31 PM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Smile

well i found that intresting, i will purchase one as soon as i can.

thank you
Old 12 July 2000, 03:57 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dippy,

I know nothing about turbo timers, so bear with me hear - do they just keep your turbo active, pumping the oil around, preventing the turbo from frying, or do they keep your engine running? If the former, would you be able to turn off, lock your car in gear, arm the alarm and walk away while the tt does it's stuff?

How much was the blittz dtt?
Old 13 July 2000, 12:58 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

As Danny says, it simply keeps the engine running as if you haven't turned the key.

For a UK car with central locking and alarm, you can't walk away: With the engine running the alarm won't set. Also for me I have the doors automatically locking when I start (to avoid a hijack) so they automatically unlock when the engine stops, i.e. when the timer expires.

I was going to do a wiring mod to avoid this, but as I said earlier, so far all of my journeys so far have been with a slow and/or off boost part at the end such that the auto time is only 10-20 secs. If I'm putting on the disklok then it times out before I get out of the car. Even if I don't then I'm only waiting beside the car for a few seconds before I blip the remote.

Standard cost seems to be £99 plus VAT. There's also a wiring harness for £15 plus VAT although the one they sent me had wrong connectors, however I easily swapped them with the ones on the timer itself which fit the Impreza.

I got mine from racelogic, but there are several other dealers who supply them.

Other things to consider:
1) The boost pressure tube is too small a bore for fitting to the inlet manifold so you need to buy some rubber pipe (mine is standard vacuum hose from a Ford dealer).
2) The instructions are in Japanese and don't cover the MY99/00 so if you want further advice then e-mail me.
3) Mounting the unit is a matter of preference. I have removed the front panel so that it sits on my dash immediately below the rev counter, so it's easy to read. But to do this you need to buy some special ribbon cable. Again if anyone needs advice please e-mail me.

[This message has been edited by Dippy (edited 13-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 12:03 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Trig, yes the engine remains running, so no you can not put the car in gear, but you can however remove the keys, lock the doors and walk away.

I am also interested in the price.

Dan
Old 13 July 2000, 02:02 PM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Cool

i belive power engineering will supply and fit for aprox £220, give them a bell and get a quote.