Notices

Who has the quickest (Track) Impreza in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2000, 12:33 AM
phil2smith
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be interesting to find the quickest (By lap time) Impreza in the UK. I attended a number of track days last year and timed the majority of the "quick" Impreza's. Four cars seemed to be consistent across the tracks.

Pete Croneys
The Prodrive car PRO 200
A silver five door with a fish symbol on the back
Blue Terzo with Scoobysport wing

Any comments.

Old 06 June 2000, 12:53 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Wink

Never seen any Scoob overtake Stef. Maybe that makes him the quickest?

Craig being modest!
Old 06 June 2000, 12:54 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Insurance companies are ok with Trackdays, but do not like timed or competative events... so it isn't necessarily such a good idea to discuss lap-times in a competative manner on a public BBS.

Moray
Old 06 June 2000, 01:09 PM
phil2smith
Scooby Newbie

Moray,

I take your point. I have been reading the BBS for ages now but have only just registered. The reason that I have registered is to highlight an emerging annoying trend on the BBS of commenting on either peoples adverts, with How much or does it beat so and so's car. If we were to know the quick cars then people could make there own minds up. Stef is not as quick as the 4 cars listed.

Old 06 June 2000, 01:17 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil.

The Lister prepared car also seems quick.
Old 06 June 2000, 06:21 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Phil.

I think one of the quickest must be the 400bhp Scoob from Scotland. I've never seen it, but speak to the owner quite a bit.
I think the comments you're referring to are actually about Santa Pod though, not track.
Anyhow, I see no harm in discussing lap times as long as they weren't at track days organised by the SIDC.
I would be interested to hear what tracks you've been to and the times you've recorded though.

Stef.
PS Cheers Craig, you logger! How 'bout we swap cars for a day?

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 06-06-2000).]
Old 06 June 2000, 09:18 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

Stef

what has the Scottish guy done to get 400 bhp ?

Rico
Old 06 June 2000, 09:27 PM
JohnS

Cool

400bhp

Replaced all engine internals with steel ones, special pistons etc. Did mention titanium conrods and bolts at one point, but this may have been for another project.

Different cams, some head work, BIG turbo (VF15 I think), uprated fuel system, custom ECU and boost controller. Come to think of it, there isn't much standard!

Uprated brakes, suspension, gearbox and drivetrain to cope.

Can lap Knockhill in 59 seconds, which isn't bad for a daily use road car (touring cars were lapping 54 seconds in qualifying).
Old 07 June 2000, 12:40 AM
phil2smith
Scooby Newbie

I attended Donnington, Castle Combe, Wroughton, Weathersfield, Cadwell and Oulton.

Old 07 June 2000, 12:46 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Phil,

Seeing as no one worries about the insurance issue... a quick question for you...

I assume you've made a note of which of these "quickest imprezas" were running on slicks when you timed them? Comparing cars on road tyres to cars on slicks is hardly fair.

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old 07 June 2000, 09:03 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Stef,
Not a bad idea. It'd be like slow motion!
Old 07 June 2000, 09:49 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

hehe.. only for you Craig.. not Stef
Old 07 June 2000, 01:40 PM
PM29151
Scooby Regular

Moray,

I have run on slicks and road tyres at the tracks that Phil is talking about, and you are right times do vary, although it obviously depends on the slicks that you are using, track condition and car set up. I find that with my car set up for the dry(LEDA with dampers set stiff) that the car is easier to drive with road tyres as the car slides about and is a bit more predictable, wheras the slicks either grip or don't which cost me a few heart palpertations last year especially at Cadwell. Interesting debate though re: spending loads of cash on the engine versus spending loads on set up. If you had equivalent amounts of cash for either I would choose set up for quicker lap times.

regards,
Peter McGowan
Old 07 June 2000, 06:31 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Phil.
OK, those are the tracks but where are the times? I'd be interested to know what the Scoob is capable of on those circuits.
Moray brought a good point up about the slicks as well. Did all four cars you've mentioned use them?
Besides, you also have to consider that the person who owns the fastest track Impreza may not be the fastest driver so isn't ever going to show his/her cars full potential.

Peter.
Although driving on road tyres may be 'easier', I fail to see how it could ever be faster than driving on slicks, except in the wet of course!
I think it is also arguable that you need to spend loads of money on either the engine or the set-up to be quick on track.
They may make a slow car faster, or a fast car faster still, but if the person behind the wheel can't use the cars potential it's irrelevant. There are people that have spent thousands on ECU's, suspension, slicks, etc, that are still not particularly quick on track. I think that good brakes are a definite requirement for consistent track use, but not much else could be considered as essential.
Craig's STi is one of the quickest I've seen without any mods othr than brakes. He's also now considering Possum I understand.
Should be fun.....

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old 07 June 2000, 09:40 PM
PM29151
Scooby Regular

Stef,

I have mucked about with Impreza set up's for 3 years now and I agree with what you are saying about brakes. Of course Slicks will be faster, surface area etc... but for drivability (Not laptimes) I prefer the car moving around a bit. I think that this preference comes from competing in rear wheel drive cars in the past.

PS: Keep up the good work re: TRAX 2000.
Old 07 June 2000, 10:11 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Peter.

As I am only a recent convert to slicks I couldn't agree more, road tyres are much more fun!
I can't wait to see how much quicker round Dono slicks are though.

Stef.
Old 07 June 2000, 10:14 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Regarding mods. –

To agree with Stef et al. The most important track mod must be to sort out the brakes. This, in the end, means upgrading to Brembo, AP, …… If you really start to press on standard 4 pots can’t take the heat no matter what you do with disks, pads, fluid or vents.

Next is tyres. I used medium compound slicks on 16 inch rims slicks and found them to be excellent. Whilst they did give more grip the biggest differences I found were that they gave a much more progressive break away (sliding is fun but slow) and that they wear slowly compared to road tyres (they are also cheaper to buy ~ £65). Use full slicks rather than moulded slicks as used on tarmac rally stages as they are much cheaper and last longer. A set of wheels with tyres fits nicely behind the back seat in a 5 door Look in the back of Motoring News for suppliers.

Regarding time comparisons, two things to add to the obvious –

Don’t underestimate the effect of weight. I found I had to rethink all my braking with different numbers of passengers in the car. E.g. at Cadwell I could brake ~10 meters later into and go 6 mph quicker through the ‘Gooseneck’ when on my own when compared with 1 passenger. Also you can certainly feel the difference between a full tank and quarter tank of gas.

Finally the quickest drivers will always be the quickest in cars that are anything like comparably specified. Track times tell you more about the drivers than the cars.

PS Nobody was on slicks at Oulton!

[This message has been edited by Steve Wilson (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old 08 June 2000, 12:21 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Steve,

If you've got time to look at the speedo at the bends you ain't driving fast enough!

Moray
Old 08 June 2000, 02:09 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Moray,

That's easy. It's the beer and the phone I have trouble with
Old 08 June 2000, 03:37 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

I thought Stef spent most of his time looking out his side windows!!
Old 08 June 2000, 07:14 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Old 08 June 2000, 07:16 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Still no times though......
Come on Phil!

Stef.
Old 09 June 2000, 05:21 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Phil.
You registered on this bbs 'to highlight an annoying trend of people commenting on other peoples threads with how much, or asking does it beat so and so's car'.
This topic has nothing to do with the 'how much' aspect, so obviously must be the latter.
Unless you can show me others, the only thread I've seen that mentioned anything like this was when Harj put his car up for sale. In this particular thread, it was my name mentioned. What exactly was the point of this thread?
I have times for various types of car at some of the tracks you mention, but as I haven't driven at most I would like to know how the Scoob fares.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 09-06-2000).]