Notices

SS exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2000, 11:16 PM
James W
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am about to purchase a stainless steel exhaust for my UK spec turbo (MY 98) any
advice on which one to go for,Im also
thinking about a performance air filter
do these make much of a difference ?

Cheers

Jim
Old 23 May 2000, 11:10 AM
Orville
Scooby Regular

This is my personal opinion and some may argue but a replacement filter is a waste of money. I changed my performance filter back to the standard paper one and hey presto - no difference whatsoever. Most people change the filter along with an exaust and I believe it is the exaust that makes the difference.

MY99 with SoobySport downpipe, backbox and paper filter .
Old 23 May 2000, 12:06 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Jim,

Good move. I've done the Backbox and air filter swap, oh yes, sounds soooo good you'll drive around with your stereo switched off for days.

In answer to you question there are a lot of SS exhausts available for the Scoob, best bet is to go to a meet and hear a few.

That way you can decide for yourself which one you want, rather than paying for something based one someone elses view of a good exhaust.

As for the filter. They allow more air flow into the engine. So they compliment the exhaust (better flow in and out). I always fit a filter and exhaust at the same time.

Do a search for exhausts and filters and you'll get some info on what other people are using.

DaveW

[This message has been edited by DaveW (edited 23-05-2000).]
Old 23 May 2000, 01:00 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Orville,

Actually I thought it was the other way round!

I had an ITG filter fitted at scoobysport. DRiving back to work with the STD exhaust there was a NOTICABLE increase in top-end performance - like ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rather than is it, maybe a bit faster....

Fitted the SS back box the next day and couldn`t really tell the difference!

Maybe you are comparing a clean std filter with a dirty high flow one?
Old 23 May 2000, 01:48 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

For the cost of an ITG filter you would be better spending £70 on a Pipercross induction kit, power increase is far greater.
Old 23 May 2000, 01:54 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

And the PX also gives you that "Darth Vader" soundtrack

I have one fitted and although it is very noisy it does seem to reduce the spool-up time of the turbo.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 23 May 2000, 05:57 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

James.

I too have a UK MY98, with a Scorpion exhaust and a K&N induction kit.
See
Old 23 May 2000, 06:17 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The most you can expect from any filter is good filtration over a long period, so maintaining peak/new performance. As for big power increases, they won't come from the filter.

Foam filters will always be best at providing good filtration over a long life but some cone filters actually have less surface area than the OE panel filter (giving either poorer filtration or poorer air flow) and cones will always draw power sapping warm air into the intake.

The noise is a personal thang.

Interesting article in this months Banzai. Blitz stainless cone, which is probably the most expensive filter available, gave... nah, I'll let you read it

We get 1-2 calls a week from people with MAF sensor failures. Not sure why this filter is causing failures, but there is almost always an HKS cone filter (the small green ones) involved.
Old 23 May 2000, 06:43 PM
PBH888
Scooby Regular

Hey Pete

Give the details on the Blitz induction please. I live in Trinidad in the West Indies and wont be seeing that Banzai Article

I have a Blitz on order
Old 23 May 2000, 07:42 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I can't speak for Pete but the article is about a rolling road and the gains from fitting a Blitz filter, exhaust backbox and a Unichip.

After fitting the Blitz, the dyno showed a 1 bhp increase - although the guy interviewed (Dirk at Powerstation) said that this was due to "Imprezas only pull in the air they need" or words to that effect.

IHTH

Thanks

Gavin
Old 23 May 2000, 09:25 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

James.

I have a Scoobysport back box on my MY97 Impreza (cost £320-ish fitted). It wasn't cheap, but it is very well made and sounds superb. Check out the supply situation if you're thinking of ordering as I believe there is a high demand!

I also have a Magnex straight through de-cat section (cost £60) which has added a bit more 'meat' to the sound.

Finally, I have a K&N cone filter (cost £65). This improves the sound nicely - in my opinion of course. From what I've read, I'm not worried about the possibility of the cone filter drawing in warmer air, as this has an almost negligible effect on a turbo-ed car.

All these bits, plus having my car in full working order, produced a respectable 251 bhp on a recent rolling road day.

Mate of mine has a full Magnex exhaust system, which is slightly cheaper than my compination, and sounds great too!

Best thing to do is get yourself along to a meet and have a look/listen.

Andrew
Old 23 May 2000, 10:54 PM
James W
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Cheers Guys,

Chances are Im going for the scoobysport back box & ITG panel filter (at the moment)

but who knows ?

jim W
Old 24 May 2000, 08:29 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I had a 12bhp increase on the same rolling road after fitting a PX kit - and that was with a boost 'problem' (14/10psi compared to 14/12 before)
Old 24 May 2000, 10:09 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Was this increase compared to a brand new panel filter, or your existing old one?

We've got a standard filter hanging up (it was so bad we just had to keep it) which must have been costing 30bhp. The owner could not believe the difference
Old 24 May 2000, 01:55 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Panel filter (and car ) was only two months old at the time. PX kit was about 6 weeks old on second occaision.
Old 24 May 2000, 02:19 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Gary.
Unless the runs were done immediately before and after the fitting of the PX then there will be too many other variables affecting the figures.
I managed to get a 10bhp increase on PE's rollers, and what do you think I changed?
Nothing.
How's that for £ per bhp increase?

Stef.