Notices

Smokin' Joe

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2000, 11:48 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all

I've got the full ScoobySport system on my version 5 Type R. At night I've noticed that if booting it away from a following car, there is a large amount of smoke when I change gear at high revs. I notice it more at night purely because of the headlights illuminating it.

My question is: is this normal when you remove the cat? I've noticed a lot more soot build up on the backbox than before I had the downpipe done so maybe this is perfectly ok? I haven't noticed it using loads of oil although it does use a bit. The soot on the pipe is dry. I'm only worried in case the engine is self destructing and I'm missing it. It does seem to make good power.

Cheers
Old 18 April 2000, 05:21 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Will be interested to read the replies to this post.
Last night i was waiting for the wife to come out of the shop , my car was ticking over for about 10 mins when all of a sudden it stated smoking (white). Imediately turned it of, waited a couple of mins and then started her up, no smoke.
Been worried sick all day, looking more out of the rear view mirror than than where im going. It doesnt seem to have returned.
Any ideas why this might have happened, also running a de-cat system and induction kit.

Cheers
Paul
Old 18 April 2000, 05:40 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Had this as well (sti v). Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Seems its more prominent with a downpipe. Had the car checked, no problems.
Old 18 April 2000, 07:28 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,
I also have a full Scoobysport system, including backbox, decat centrepipe and downpipe. I also get smoke time to time, especially after leaving it idle. It also smells real bad. I should suspect that this is normal, probably the reason Impreza's need 2 cats to stop it from polluting the atmos.

I will say that you WILL fail an MOT. It took me weeks to sort out mine, noone would touch it.

I would regard this as normal behavior, although it would be nice to get some factual reasoning behind this.
Cem
Old 18 April 2000, 11:00 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Im only have a lowly WRX with full s/s decat system and it also spits out black soot on hard acceleration (maybe I should use SUL and not diesel?)....anyway Cem what did you do to get your MOT
a) refit downpipe ?
b) dodgy garage ?
c) bought it for a tenner of a bloke in a pub ?

I'm wondering what to do before mine comes up
cheers
Dan
Old 19 April 2000, 11:37 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

somewhere between b and c =)
Old 20 April 2000, 01:21 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dan.

I refitted my old downpipe for the MOT a few weeks ago, it wasn't the pain in the **** that I thought it would be. It took me about 45 minutes all up to do. I didn't realise that the downpipe made such a difference to the perfomance until I put the cat back on! It did take a long time to start the car afterwards though due to the sudden restriction. Passed the MOT though.