Notices

Better intercooling

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 1999, 11:40 AM
stuartg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't yet got one but it will be a new MY2000 soon. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone in the group had tried Improving the intercooling setup. This would be another way (apart from rasing boost) of cramming more air mass into the engine and getting more power - hopefully for less dosh!

Specifically, remounting it in front of radiator (a la EVO) or even putting something like a Kenlowe fan (very powerful) switched when turbo cuts in and temps goes up.

Anyone out there tried any of these ideas?!

Stuart

Old 04 July 1999, 04:26 PM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

Moving the Intercooler in front of the radiator would give it better cooling but you will increase the turbo lag because of the extra pipework that would be required. This sort of conversion is done on some of the japanese cars but seems to be when they are getting quite high power outputs.

The idea of using a fan may have some uses when the car is travelling at slower speeds but the question is how much power does the fan take to actually cool the intercooler and does it add more power than it takes to run the fan?

The cheapest way is to use a waterspray which cools the air going through the intercooler. The Type R's have this sort of setup but as to if it actually helps the power figures is rather more difficult to test. The obvious way would be on a rolling road but on the rolling road the car is not subject to the same sort of airflow that you would get on a normal road so this makes things difficult to assess.

Darren
Old 05 July 1999, 06:02 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS have just launced a front mounted intercooler kit which includes the plumbing, try calling Torque Developments on 0181 5910552 for a chat
cheers
Dan
Old 05 July 1999, 09:21 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Has anyone looked into charge cooling? I know that PTS will supply a kit, but I'm after the opinion of someone who has either fitted one, or considered fitting one.

What the pros/cons of such a conversion?

Cheers
Andy
Old 06 July 1999, 11:17 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

My previous car (MY 97UK) was used for the development of the PTS/Pace charge cooler system.

I must admit the system did cool the intake temperatures, but I wasn't impressed with the product. The build quality was poor (compared to the products Pace were making for Brabus). The temperature drop wasn't as good as I hoped for.

But anyways.... Its late...and I need my beauty sleep.

J.