Notices

UK speedo in WRX

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 1999, 06:40 AM
Mark B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I have a 95 WRX and am fed up with the crap 'cog' solution for altering km to miles on the speedo.

My local garage who looks after my car, have now struck up a good working relationship with a local subaru dealer who supply them parts and advice for imports with no questions asked. (Business is Business they say!).

Anyway, they can supply a UK spec speedo with cable, but if it does not work they will not take it back which is understandble.

Will this work fine and give me a 100% accurate speed reading?

Has anyone done this before?

Help,

Mark.
Old 30 June 1999, 10:42 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Mark.

Surely the speed that the cable spins at is dictated by the gearbox.

If ALL Imprezas are the same (likely) you shouldn't need to change the cable?

The clocks presumably are calibrated to interpret the cable rotation and show correct MPH for UK clocks and KPH for Jap clocks?

I am going to have a cable reduction gear fitted (eventually) seems to be a relatively simple solution, if somewhat fiddly to carry out.

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 30-06-99).]
Old 30 June 1999, 01:49 PM
bruceh
Scooby Regular

My 95 WRX has a UK speedo fitted. I haven't tried to calibrate it, but it appears to be fairly accurate. It was already fitted when I bought the car, but AFAIK it was just a straight swap. Be aware though that these still have a speed limiter fitted, in the form of a reed switch inside the speedo. This limits the top speed to about 115mph. Removing the limiter is not a simple problem. It cannot just be disconnected, as your ECU will then put the engine into "get home" mode. It needs a filter fitted to reduce the number of pulses the reed switch put out to fool the ECU. I don't know if these are available. Anyone know?

I bought the car from Steve Byng. If you want more info on how he fitted it, or how the limiter works, email him at smbyng@mcmail.com and say I sent you. I'm sure he'll be happy to give you chapter and verse on everything involved.