Search this Thread

Old 22 June 1999, 12:07 AM
AndyM
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...I found out two new things about my lovely Scooby :

1) Turbo lag really gets me down.

2) Clutch slip happens on my car too.

What can I do to avoid or reduce the problems above?

I realise the easiest answer is "Don't accelerate too hard" but that doesn't help too much considering I'd like to take my car on the occasional track day.

What I'd like to hear is that buying a new cone air filter (or similar) will increase the low end acceleration and reduce Turbo lag in the 1k-3.5k rev range.

Also what parts would I need to improve the clutch so that it doesn't slip (or at least make it much harder to make it slip). Can I buy an "Organic Centre Clutch for fast road use" from Performance Turbo Systems at £139 or do I have to go the whole hog and get a complete STI clutch kit at £568 from Power Engineering?

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew
Old 22 June 1999, 03:21 PM
JohnS

Andy,

I hope you weren't serious about getting serious acceleration in the 1 - 3.5k rev range!!

The turbo doesn't really start spinning fast enough to produce enough boost until about 2.5 - 3k rpm. Once you have driven your car a bit longer, you soon get used to changing down to find the power you need to overtake etc. 2nd gear is good from about 20mph - 60ish, and 3rd provides strong acceleration from about 35-40 mph upwards to illegal road speeds. If you are sitting at 30mph in 4th gear, then you are never going to get any decent acceleration for many whole seconds until the engine develops enough revs, to spin the turbo fast enough, to produce boost.

A free flow exhaust system and air filter will help response below 3k rpm (and above), but I doubt there is much you can do to get serious acceleration below 2.5k rpm.
Old 22 June 1999, 04:04 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Has anybody tried a turbozet electric supercharger thingy to get low down increase air flow ?

cheers

Andy
Old 22 June 1999, 04:45 PM
OLI H
Scooby Regular

I have to disagree with the comment that a ss back box and ramair filter improves response below 3k.

Since having the back box fitted by scoobysport 2 weeks ago i've found a flatspot around 3k (now have to open throttle further to get progress), but the trade off is superior response further up rev range. Not to mention the improved soundtrack of course.
Old 22 June 1999, 08:21 PM
dean r
Scooby Newbie

if you want zero turbo lag then get an anti-lag kit installed,they do them for cosworths but the problem is you will be popping and farting at the traffic lights and burning the front bumper of the car parked behind you with the 3ft flame outs from your exhaust!
not very practical.sorry
Old 23 June 1999, 12:42 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Oli H,

I don't think the comment about low rev response actually mentioned the SS backbox and Ramair filter, it refered to freeflow exhaust/air filters in general.

I am currently running a Grahame Goode Sports exhaust and an HKS airfilter, this pairing makes a BIG improvement as far as turbo lag/throttle response is concerned. It also sounds fantastic!

Cheers,

Moray