Notices

Little Black Box - What does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 1999, 09:34 PM
Paul Harris
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the glove box of my 96 WRX V-Limited I have a small plastic black box about the size of a box of swan vestas. On the bottom it has the name Autolook. On the top and front it has Ms AFR Air Flow Resetter. From the back are two wires, a thin red one and a thick black one. In the black wire are three other smaller wires a black one, a white one and a blue one. There is also a round hole on the back with nothing going in or out.

On the front panel are two round, clear buttons to the right. One is the power button and the other has volume under it with numbers from -2 through to 10% in stages of 2.

My question is more to do with operation as its obviously an Air Flow Resetter (?). Does anyone know how it works, what it actually does, when it should be operated or when it shouldn't be operated, i.e. when you're driving along might not be a good idea to turn it on.

Thanks for any help or advice I receive.

One other thing, and this may be a stupid question to those in the know, but what do IMHO and other abbreviations I've seen around actually mean?

Paul

Old 21 June 1999, 11:01 PM
fubar
Scooby Regular

Most web acronyms can be deciphered at http://www.whatis.com.

For example, IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
YMMV = Your Mileage Might Vary.
LOL = Laughing Out Loud
FUBAR = f@!#ed Up Beyond All Repair!
SNAFU = Situation Normal All F##ked Up
Old 21 June 1999, 11:57 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Paul,

M = Mass
S = Sensor

A = Air
F = Fuel
R = Regulator

The small box is designed to adjust the signal from the mass air sensor(air flow regulator)so that the fuel mixture can be changed.I'd advise not playing with it unless you're able to adjust it on a rolling road.These gadgets can be VERY sensitive,and it's very easy to make the fuel mix' very lean.
You don't say how long you've had the car,but AFR's are normally fitted to stop the car going lean,when other mod's have been done.Try and get on the RR to check things out.

Mark.

[This message has been edited by R19KET (edited 22-06-99).]