Notices

No ABS

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 1999, 06:23 AM
Timothy Leuers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad is it not to have ABS?
Are the any down sides to ABS (like is the weight an important factor?)
Old 15 June 1999, 04:07 PM
Andrew M
Scooby Regular

For most people the only downside to having ABS is that in powder snow it takes longer to stop with ABS (a locking wheel will build up a mound of snow infront of the wheel therefore aiding in the braking).

ABS will stop you quicker than a non ABS car. The systems aren't THAT heavy (unless you are a top-class athlete you probably carry more surplus weight in fat).

The only advantage (overall) of a non ABS car is that you can use left foot braking to lock front or back wheels at choice. Without a brake bias control inside the car this is not possible in a 4WD car.

Andrew
Old 16 June 1999, 07:15 AM
Timothy Leuers
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andrew.
I was just wondering if there was any excuse for not having ABS on my car and it seems there is not. When I bought it second hand, I forgot to ask wether ABS was fitted or not since I presumed that on a car of this power (WRX) it would be fitted as standard.

I have yet to be able to skid more than one wheel of the car so perhaps my excuse is that with road holding as good as this there is no need for it?

But you write that "ABS stops you quicker" so I presume that this is not simply a question of skidding but of stopping quicker under normal circumstances (which may come to the same thing, since the limiting factor on stop times may be the possibility of skid).

Is there utterly no way that it can be fitted?

Tim