Notices

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 1999, 08:41 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer has suggested that if I want to lower the ride height of my new STi V, I could have him fit Eibach (?spelling) lowering springs reducing the ride height by about 35mm. Altough this will look very cool, how do these springs effect the handling of the car? I've read somewhere that the springs have to match the dampers for some reason or another.

Eventually I will change to the Leda B or C option, but in the meantime would like to improve the overall appearance of the car but not compromise the handling. Any comments (Pete 'O'Sage One' Croney ) would be most welcome.

Thanks

Dave.
Old 08 June 1999, 09:39 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely, you have to match the dampers to springs. This is because otherwise dampers that are designed to operate over a travel of x mm now have to operate over x-35mm. You should talk to Pete C about Leda.
Old 08 June 1999, 03:44 PM
Rob C
Scooby Newbie

I had Eibach springs fitted to my MY99 WRX but kept the original dampers, it is only lowered by 20mm but the ride seems very hard and crashy/noisy over bumps compared to Andy Tangs prodrive suspension.It also feels very floaty in fast bumpy corners and moves on the road alot.

I kept the original springs which may well go back on unless I can do something to improve it with dampers.

Moral of the story, go and see Pete Croney and get it done properly to start with or if you can't wait then get both springs and shocks together.

Rob C
Old 08 June 1999, 04:34 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
The main problem with the Scooby suspension,is the shocks,not the springs.
The shocks are far too hard.If you just increase the spring rate(this happens with a lowering kit)the car will become VERY skittish on all but very smooth surfaces,and the ride will be appauling.

Wait until you can afford the Leda 'B',it's more than adequate for both road, and track days,+ you have full adjustment.Leda will also revalve,change springs,and cambers, to suit your requirements.Well worth the wait.

Also by the time you buy,and fit a spring kit(£300 'ish)it's just wasting money.

Mark.