Notices

Driving problems

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 1999, 09:20 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posting my problem once more ( some of you might remember)I hope to find some answers from those of you who have some experience on mechanical reasons.
Last weekend driving on highway I noticed one more time that car tends to go right.
Load was two passengers at right side and of course some luggages.
The steering wheel is heavy on left corners.(Car do not turn easily left).
And tends to go right any moment you leave the s.w free.
Subaru Greece told me to go to an other Wheel allignment service to check the wheels.
But is true that the problem does not come from allignment.Cause we have check it several times.
What else should I check to find out the problem.
Notice the car is an 98 MY Turbo 211 ps LHD.
No crashes at all.New Tyres SO2's.Correct distance between LF - LR and RF-RR wheels.

Here in Greece we have an expresion when waiting other's oppinion.
< I am all ears guys >.
Thanks
Elias
Old 26 April 1999, 10:32 PM
Jack Cowell
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem before I got the Scoob on my Mondeo. Every time I got new tyres fitted and balanced the car veered off line when the steering wheel was let go. After some discussion with the tyre fitter he turned the tyres on the wheel (inside to outside)on the front. Seems that all tyres run in a preferred direction due to the moulding proccess, now any time I get new tyres and the car vears left or right, I get them to swap over the tyres and this always solves it. It takes some convincing as it's always different fitters that do the work.I don't know if it's the same on the Scoob as the tyres are marked for rotation.
Jack C
Old 27 April 1999, 05:35 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Jack thanks for reply, but Scooby has Potetza tyres from the beginning.As the problem appeared from the 1600km I changed the possition but nothing.So decided at 5000 km to change them with S02 thinking that this could solve the problem. But nothing happened.Just 500 pounds have fly from my pockets.
Old 27 April 1999, 09:37 AM
SteveL
Scooby Newbie

I had the same problem when I picked up a MY97 UK spec last September.
It veered to the left when the steering wheel was let go. Checked with a tyre fitting company and all the tracking and balancing was ok.
When it went in for a service, I told the dealer and when I got it back all was ok. Sorry I did not ask him what he did - I was just grateful that the problem had gone, so maybe go back to the dealer and insist he checks it out.
Old 27 April 1999, 11:03 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Steve,
Subaru Greece have checked the car and said that there is no problem.When i insisted to have a complete check of the car cause the problem exists they answered to me by saying
<go to another alignment and bill us the cost>.
Old 27 April 1999, 07:51 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Have you tried taking the car to the central service at Pireaus avenue? This is where I took mine and they seemed quite helpful although my car didn't have any problems(!)