Notices

Anti Lift Castor Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 1999, 08:00 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, you all

I like to know if some of you, have experience with a "Anti Lift Castor Kit", described at the MRT-Pages ?
( http://www.mrtrally.com.au/)

The Kit works like this (say's MRT):

The Anti-Lift Kit changes the location and geometry of the control arm pick-up point to remove the "lift" resulting from the original geometry.
The new mount also relocates the arm in another plane to add 0.5 deg. static positive castor.
The new mount also features a performance polyurethane bush which replaces the original high complance rubber type.
This serves to maintain a closer link between static and dynamic alignment settings through reduced compliance and distortion under load.
The 0.5 deg.additional static positive castor coupled with the low compliance bush means over 1.0 deg. more positive dynamic castor.

That's(for me), a lot of technical info, but I only wanna know, what's the difference in driving and Is it a Good thing to do , for a scooby.

If someone can give me more info, I'm very pleased !

Greatings, Theo
Old 04 April 1999, 11:37 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the geometry changes but I can say that the swap to polyurethane bushes will increase noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) by comparison with the stock bushes.

It may be that this kit is aimed at competition car builders.
Old 05 April 1999, 08:22 AM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Thanks , for the info

The compagny who have the "Anti lift kit", in his partslist, is MRT in AUS.

They have also a Rallyteam !
Old 05 April 1999, 09:08 AM
JohnS

Quite a few WRX owners in Australia have had this kit fitted, and say it makes a noticeable improvement to the handling.

Downsides as mentioned before are a bit harsher ride, and more noise transmitted into cabin. Whiteline who supply the kit can ship anywhere in the world for a reasonable price, and it's a very attractive looking piece of kit with the current £/$AU exchange rate.
Old 05 April 1999, 04:44 PM
brumster
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like it would firm up the steering, probably giving it more feel along the way, at the expense of straight-line stability. But cornering hard would provide more grip - probably a lovely thing in the fairly understeery world of the Impreza.

That's what general ruling would say - unless the Impreza's geometry works any differently to most

Cheers,
Dan

P.S. What do they mean by "dynamic" castor? How many different types of castor are there?!
Old 05 April 1999, 10:58 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

JohnS,

What is "whiteline", and what about shipping to Holland, that's where I live,

Can you give me more Info !
Old 06 April 1999, 08:58 AM
JohnS

Theo,

Whiteline are the company in Australia that manufacture the anti-lift kit, along with various other suspension components.

They have a web site at

Old 06 April 1999, 09:10 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I have the MRT kit fitted to my car, and it works. While I didn't really suffer from understeer on the road, I took the car (MY94 WRX) to Silverstone last year and it understeered like a pig. I had the anti lift castors fitted, plus the stiffer anti roll bars (front and rear), and full poly bushes on the front. IMHO the understeer has virtually gone, the body roll is much less pronounced, and the bushes do not noticeably harshen the ride. I paid about £300 for the kit, plus £100 for a very quick delivery (3 days from AUS) + £50 VAT and Import duty. Well woth it!