Notices

Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 1999, 02:25 PM
elonce
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone any experience or thoughts about removing the catalytic converter from an Impreza Turbo? A performance co. is offering a straight thru' system that does away with the cat., releasing 20+ bhp...
Old 11 February 1999, 02:09 AM
Mark McE
Scooby Regular

If it's UK based then I think you need it for the MOT. (Unless you're lucky enough to have a new enough one not to need a MOT yet)
Old 11 February 1999, 03:32 PM
elonce
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your reply...yes, I am in the UK and, off hand, I think you're right about the MOT. I queried this point with the supplier and the reply was "well, you could always put the cat. back on for the MOT". Re. the emmissions, in their experience they (the emmissions)would still be within legal requirements. My Impreza is 1 year old, so I would have 2 years to play with it, but is it worth the hassle after that.

I was wondering whether anyone has had experience of using a road car without the cat. Re. the issue about leaded/unleaded petrol, I wonder how environmentally friendly cats. are, anyway. But that's another story.
Old 16 February 1999, 08:02 PM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

I've been running a MONGOOSE system for a year and a half(see JANSPEED EXHAUSTS QUERY),having had to refit the old exhaust back for two MOT's so far(I find this takes a couple of hours or so) and I'd say it's certainly worth the effort in relation to the performance gained.The only possible problem I've encountered has been that the system does hang rather low making it somewhat vulnerable(though I've yet to ground it in everyday driving)
Old 16 February 1999, 08:04 PM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

I've been running a MONGOOSE system for a year and a half(see JANSPEED EXHAUSTS QUERY),having had to refit the old exhaust back for two MOT's so far(I find this takes a couple of hours or so) and I'd say it's certainly worth the effort in relation to the performance gained.The only possible problem I've encountered has been that the system does hang rather low making it somewhat vulnerable(though I've yet to ground it in everyday driving)
Old 17 February 1999, 11:05 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

I de-catted my Renault Alpine A610, I could do this legally because it was made prior to the cat law restrictions 1992J K reg plus require cat legally.

However my car abslutely walked the emissions test at MOT time with no mention from the MOT testing station.

Don't make work for yourself if you take the cat off, only put it back on if the testing station fails it because of its absence, re-test is £5.00 I think?