Notices

Increasing Boost to 0.9 - 1.0 bar

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 1999, 10:22 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I would like to know facts about the following for a new 211ps Impreza turbo similiar to a UK spec Impreza turbo.

I am thinking of installing an APEXi AVC-R boost controller to boost the car to around 1.0 bar, but maintaining the standard ECU, complemented with K&N filters and a full free flow exhaust system.

Would the standard ECU be able to adjust and feed the required fuel/air mixture to cope with the increased boost?

I have been given 2 differing opinions on this:

1) To remove the ECU and install a fuel controller and ignition controller to complement the boost controller - A system
from a company called Possum.

"There will be an increase in demand for fuel/air and where is that going to come from? With this system we can map the ignition timing, increase the fuel and air required."...quote unquote. Cost: 775 quid.

2) Installing the APEXi boost controller as a standalone unit and leave the factory ECU to cope with the increased demand for fuel/air mix and ignition timing for detonation.

"Its perfectly alright" he says "the standard ECU can cope to around 1.2 bar." Cost: 320 quid.

Needless to say, each opinion is from different tuners who want to sell their product i.e. each has a commercial interest.
You guys don't....well......

The Subaru dealer, coincidentally an Englishman (not relevant), was the one who suggested I fit a boost controller instead of chipping but unfortunately he didn't elaborate beyond that.

Help. pretty pls?

Thanks,

Malique - from never never land, Malaysia.
Old 02 February 1999, 08:23 AM
Tim Cook
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malique,

The solution from a company called Possum would be the PossumLink, which is a replacement ECU.

I have one of these on my car, and I now have 215 kW available (292 PS).

For more info, see: