Notices

Sti IV (Poss MY99 cars ) Discoloured Brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 1999, 12:51 AM
KevinJ
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 6 weeks without a clean my STI IV was given a treat, but the subaru embossed calipers on the front were so dirty that with any amount of scrubbing they would not clean. So Wonder wheels was used to clean the wheels ... will it remove the dirt on the calipers .. OH Yes it works, but ti removed the 'black' coating as well .. to show grey calipers. Any ideas on getting the original black back ??
Old 18 January 1999, 01:02 PM
JohnS

The acid in Wonder Wheels is great for removing stubborn brake dust, but unfortunately it also likes to dissolve certain types of paint as well.

I think what you have done is to strip the paint (or whatever the coating was) off the calipers. I'm afraid the only way to get it back, is to clean the caliper very well with the wheels off (probably using more Wonder Wheels), and to re-paint using high temperature resistant paint.

Sounds like more effort than it's worth (especially in this cold weather unless you have a heated workshop), and I would just put up with grey calipers.
Old 22 January 1999, 02:34 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Have done exactly the same thing and stripped all the black paint off. I am thinking about using one of the enamelling kits you can get from the likes of Demon Tweeks to return colour. In fact you could make them red as 22B. Not sure if it worth the hassel though.