Notices

Flooring it!

Old 18 December 1998, 12:25 AM
sambo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently taken possession of a brilliant MY98 (17000 miles) trubo. Great Car!

I am not sure if it my in-experience in driving the car, but when under heavy acceleration there is an auidible and noticeable 'clunk' from what appears to be the read axle when I change up a gear (also if I drop a gear to accelerate). Is this normal for a new driver, or is there something awful I am about to find out about my car?

Help / advice appreciated!
Old 18 December 1998, 12:58 AM
Colin
Scooby Regular

I have noticed this (or something similar) - only under severely aggressive acceleration - and only twice in 2 years (the only times I've accelerated hard). Both times when rapidly changing from first to second gear and lifting the clutch at about 3,000 rpm. My best guess is that it's some type of whiplash in the drive system. Anybody else heard a similar noise?
Old 18 December 1998, 02:00 PM
JohnS

It's quite common, and seems to happen most when changing up from 1st to 2nd when accelerating hard, and being a bit brutal with the release of the clutch.

I think it's just some slack in the drivetrain somewhere being taken up abruptly.

With care and practise, you can drive rapdily without the noise appearing

Old 18 December 1998, 02:09 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Yup, been there, heard that, felt that!

It sorts of spoils things a little bit, but I've always felt it on nearly all turbo-charged cars I've had. It means, for me at least, that I slow my gear-changes down, giving myself time to bring the clutch up to get a smooth take-up and avoid the wallop as drive is taken up again. Problem is that in the mean-time that twit in the Porsche is catching up!