Notices

WRX water spray

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 1998, 01:58 PM
richc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I recently acquired a WRX STi Type R,and have a question regarding the inter-cooler water spray. I recently drove the car on a
steady drive in the cold, pouring rain, and
noticed the water spray indicator lighting
up frequently. Is this normal behaviour, or
does it sound knackered? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 15 December 1998, 10:37 PM
ACA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Type-R IV too, and the orange 'Water Spray' warning light means the water level is getting low in the tank... so put more in! (The tank is at the right front corner - blue cap). It comes on and off because of the motion of the car, just like a low fuel warning light.

I don't see the point of having the spray on when it's cold and wet - save it for the summer. However, when it is on, and you're driving fast on a road requiring lots of 30-70 acceleration between corners, the tank's dry in about 20-25 miles - not very helpfull.

I only started using it after hearing some faint pinking noise under acceleration, before the turbo really comes on at 4000 rpm. David Hendry checked it over and said some of the IVs do it, but the engine management compensates for it and that it isn't a problem. They recommended using the spray as this seems to reduce the noise, presumably by cooling the charge and getting more oxygen into the cylinders. Hope this helps.