Notices

opposite lock

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 1998, 09:36 PM
Dave S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just had a wrx delivered a couple of days ago. Three times now I've had a very large dose of oversteer, yet I understand that the Impreza is nomally setup to understeer first. I know the roads are greasy at the moment but I wasn't expecting this.
Old 19 November 1998, 10:36 PM
JohnS

Can you give a few more details on the car (eg STi V), and what you were doing to get the oversteer.

If you lift off whilst going round a croner near the limits of adhesion, then chances are the tail will get unstuck.

If you give it too much power out of corners in the wet, then it is possible to get oversteer even in a standard UK car, but you do have to try
Old 20 November 1998, 08:26 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

If the car is a Type-R, then this may be something you'll have to get used to. The first day I got mine I found that whilst accelerating hard on greasy roads the back did have a tendency to 'go light'. Since then I've had a couple of moments which almost caught me out (including a full on 4-wheel slide which required lock-to-lock correction!!!). On the up side, it's quite nice in the wet to drift the back round when accelerating off roundabouts.

Having previously owned a UK car with Prodrive suspension I was used to a car with no oversteer and practically no understeer, so was slightly suprised when I found that the Type-R suffered from this. The car behaves perfectly in the dry, and I guess next year I'll perfect the handling by adding Leda suspension (which removes the under/oversteer, or so I'm told).

Of course, if your car isn't a Type-R then this is all completely irrelevant... ;-)
Old 20 November 1998, 08:53 AM
Dave S
Scooby Regular

It's a 5 door MY97. Was going fast round corners at the time ! It wasn't a pleasant driver induced sort of oversteer, but wild and sudden.
Old 20 November 1998, 09:19 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<START LECTURE>
Sudden and unpleasant! Yes, the Impreza can bite sometimes. See this as a learning experience, the Impreza is an amazing car which sometimes redefines the law of adhesion. But, it can also release very quickly and if your not ready it could be a trip to the garage. Be warned and drive safely.
</END LECTURE>