Notices

Harness bars

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2003, 12:06 PM
ed_209
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Iam hoping this is the right section. I was thinking of getting a harness bar to go along with 4 point harness ( funny enough) . just wondering what you guys think of them. I have already heard about the rolling over and to be frank. if you rolled over hard enough to collapse the roof and the seat back a normal seatbelt would not safe you. I don't want to go down the route of roll cages because of the insurance aspect and bolt-in will not fit the 97 wagon correctly.

Iam hoping for lots of consructive coments.
I have found 1 story and 1 site who supply them
which are
http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/safety/subWRX_harnBar.asp#
http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0201tur_sparco/index.html

Thanks in advance
Ed
Old 14 September 2003, 12:35 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking of getting a harness bar to go along with 4 point harness ( funny enough) . just wondering what you guys think of them.
Wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

I have already heard about the rolling over and to be frank. if you rolled over hard enough to collapse the roof and the seat back a normal seatbelt would not safe you.
Depends what you mean. You're right, if you're stupid/unfortunate enough to put it on its roof, your survival is in the lap of the Gods without a proper weld-in cage, harnesses and helmets.

However, in circumstances like this, you are probably better off with a conventional three point seatbelt than a four point harness. The seatbelt will allow you to move laterally in the seat, so if the roof does come down on you, you will have the opportunity to try and get out of the way. If you're held in place, there's nothing you can do.

I don't want to go down the route of roll cages because of the insurance aspect and bolt-in will not fit the 97 wagon correctly.
What is your proposed usage? If you just use your car as daily transport, keep with the standard safety provisions and avoid driving in a manner that risks turning it upside-down.

If you use it for track days, consider a roll cage designed for easy removal/refit, such as the Safety Devices RTRS systems.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/14/2003 12:36:10 PM]