Notices

Problem with aircon

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2003, 07:14 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

My aircon isn't working (compressor doesn't engage), and I've just worked out why. There's a silver cannister under the bonnet next to the passenger side strut top, with two metal pipes and an electrical connector going into it. Apparently it's called the "receiver drier".

This thing is supposed to provide continuity between the two wires of the electrical connector when under normal operation, and open the circuit if the pressure is too high/low etc. However mine is always open circuit so the compressor doesn't engage. I shorted the terminals of the connector and the compressor started up as it should.

Now it's possible the pressure in my system is too low, however I'd be surprised as the last time I used the aircon before it stopped working the air coming out was very cold which suggests the system had plenty of pressure. There is a "fusible plug" on the cannister (it's a bolt about size 14mm, across from the electrical connector), but I'm not entirely sure if this is an electrical fuse in the normal sense. Space around the bolt is very tight so I can't easily remove it, and I don't want to remove the metal pipes in case all the refrigerant escapes!

Any advice on what I can do to sort this problem would be appreciated.
Old 30 August 2003, 07:17 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

PS Here is a diagram of the thing I'm talking about. The fuse thing is labelled 10.

Old 31 August 2003, 08:59 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

thats not a fuse the most likely thing is you have holed the evaporator (the rad thing in front of the engine radiator) and lost the gas hence the pressure switch is not able to kick the compressor in. take it to an air con person and get them to check how much gas is in it or get it recharged and have the dye put in so if there is a leak you will be able to find it with a special light they use that makes the dye glow a sort of bright green
Old 31 August 2003, 04:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is a small window in the top of the drier. When the A/C is running normally there should be no gas bubbles in the window. No bubbles means it is all ok or there is no refrigerant left at all!

Les