Notices

Urgent help required

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2003, 09:55 PM
SimonBriggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My recent purchase of a 96 reg import wrx has been diagnosed with a noisy bearing in the gearbox buy Subaru. They said it would probably be fine for months/years?!? Anyway I took it back to the garage where I bought it, unbeknown to me they changed the gearbox for a thicker oil. My partner drove the car back as I was at work, the car sounds even worse now and a ruff noise seems to be coming from the back of the car......not sure though as it can only be heard while driving.

Is the gearbox oil completely seperate from everything else ie diff oil, engine oil.
I'm sure what to do next other than take it straight back....help please
Old 06 August 2003, 10:16 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gearbox oil also lubricates the front and centre diffs, although it's separate from the engine and rear diff.

It's hard to imagine a change of gearbox oil causing "odd" noises in the rear of the car, but either way, this garage simply trying to mask the gearbox whine by filling with a non-standard grade of oil is a bad idea.

If you've just bought the car, and it was sold by a trader, it should have a warranty of some sort. On the assumption that it does, this is the avenue you should be chasing.