Notices

Upping boost with Scooby ECU...

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2003, 03:55 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I will be fitting one of mr Wallis's ECU's soon but was wondering if it would be possiable to up the boost with a manual boost controller as well, i currently run 12.5psi with a GBE manual boost controller,i think the ScoobyECU runs 16psi peak but i have heard you can run more on standard internals/turbo etc, so could i fit the Scooby ECU then up the boost with the GBE...

If so what would be a max 'safe' boost to run, i say safe as the car is a daily driver and i need reliabilty...

I will be running a knocklink aswell to monitor knock...

Any info much appriciated...

Cheers,

John.
Old 13 July 2003, 04:04 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

if you want to run more, just make sure you have the following.

New, bigger intercooler.
New, bigger injectors, 440s or 550s
New modified custom scoobyecu chip for injectors
A knocklink

There is a reason why they are limited to 16psi, and to do it on a standard intercooler, even at that boost requires a fair bit of ignition advance to be taken out for UK fuel. You will get more power simply by running the same boost but getting you intake temperatures down, and making sure you can get the most from the ignition and fuel maps (ie ECU not retarding ignition).

But hey, what do I know.

paul

Old 13 July 2003, 04:09 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Hi pavlo,

I'm new to this turbo thing and am getting a little absessed with boost i think,

So would it not be a good idea to run say 18psi with a standard intercooler setup etc, i am thinking of getting a later non slanted intercooler with water spray later in the year, would this surfice for running higher boost,

Oh by the way it's a MY93 WRX Import..

Cheers,

John.
Old 13 July 2003, 08:14 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I am currently using a custom mapped scoobyecu and running up to 19psig with water injection. As Pavlo has already stated you need a fair few other mods to do this. Currently I am modifying a bigger TMIC to fit my scoob. Also to run this boost you will need to fit another Map(pressure) sensor as the standard one 'saturates at 17.2psig'. I am using one from a newer model.
Old 25 July 2003, 10:07 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with the above, if you go much above 16psi with an Early WRX then the MAP sensor is un-reliable and you will hit fuel cut.

A Z4 ECU with a ScoobyECU may give you a little more (maybe 17.5psi) as we beleive the Map Sensor input circuit is a little more stable. But you really will need a knocklink as the timing will probably need retarding a couple more degree's.
Old 26 July 2003, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That is all excellent advice, you will notice such a big improvement with the replacement ECU that should keep you happy for a while anyway. Best to get the intercooling sorted before you go further. And a Knock Link.

Les
Old 26 July 2003, 12:14 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Delboy,
How much was your map sensor and where did you get it from ?
Is it an easy job to change the sensor ?

Mark A

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2003, 01:13 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also watch it if you have been sitting in traffic as my intercooler gets saturated with heat and my induction kit sucks the hot air in off the engine heating the filter.. then pull away and anything near my 1bar peak boost and the knock link thinks it is Xmas.. I think 1bar (16psi ish) is the limit of the slanted intercooler. Takes a fair amount of time at 70mph to cooler back to normal too..

The map you talk about is what I believe I am running it is a very nice map..

Simon
Old 26 July 2003, 01:20 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Got my map sensor from http://www.gradea-subaru.co.uk/ was between £15-20. Wiring is different to the original therefore I had to work it out and modify the loom. I also calibrated mine to find its range ie MY00 Map sensor saturates at 24.2psig (4.90v). Have now also modified and fitted an STiV/VI TMIC and running between 17.5psig and 20psig

[Edited by Delboy2 - 7/26/2003 1:22:31 PM]