Notices

Possumlink ECU

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2003, 03:36 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone ordered one & set it up themselves.
Looks good at £695, but £700 odd for set up seems a bit rich.
How hard can it be to set up with a lap top - comes with default map anyway & full instructions - endless tinkering, what fun.
The only downside is possible melt down but hey u only live once.

Mark.
Old 20 June 2003, 04:55 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The default map might get the car started
If you understand the ins & outs of an engine to a pretty large extent, you might be able to stop the engine from blowing up.
If you actually want to make use of the car & any modifications, etc., it needs to be remapped properly.
Remember that the mapper is (far!) more important than the actual ECU!
Old 20 June 2003, 05:50 PM
BazH
Scooby Regular

Smile

£700 for setup, what does that include!?!?!
Old 20 June 2003, 09:25 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

the £700 includes knock link, knock sensor, lambda link and mapping. IMO it is worth it.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:11 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

It includes all that does it ?
I've already got those so I wonder what the price might be for just the mapping.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:26 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

I understand a fair amount of it - reading the bumph on MRT's website it doesn't look like rocket science & to a large extent the ecu is self learning.
I think saying that even with a good understanding u 'might' not blow the engine up is probably well wide of the mark.
The information says the default map is at the very least equivalent to the standard map so 'just enough to start the car' is probably exagerating.
I'm not saying it'll be straight forward but with a bit of research I'm sure good results are achievable without blowing anything up.

Of course I'm probably wrong & heading for a rebuild !
If any experts could offer their services for considerably less than 700 then I guess that would be the sensible option.

Old 21 June 2003, 09:11 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Well, it's your engine obviously & you can do what you want
Not wanting to bring up bad memories for some people out there... some (otherwise) reputable tuners have worked there way through a fair few engines in the past through getting the tuning wrong - not necessarily with the same ECU, but that's pretty immaterial - similar problems/solutions arise with them all.

Even if you do get the car running about the place ok, it's unlikely you'll be able to extract the potential from the rest of your setup. There are a tricks to making the car run better that only a very few of the commercial tuners know, let alone the 'DIY'ers!

By 'self learning', I think you'll find it means that it can follow the narrowband - or at least try to. But isn't, actually, very good at it. For the same reason, it's official 'self learning' isn't too hot - the sampling rate at low rpm is too low to get a good afr. Again, it can get the car running/moving, but I wouldn't go too far past that! Most using the Link - I believe - run it open loop all the time for this reason.

Apologies for going on about it, but it seems faintly ridiculous to me to spend wodges on a car & then not have it set up correctly. You could install the best suspension in the world, but then if you set it up at home with a couple of torches, an old school geometry set & mallet, I don't think anyone would imagine it's going to work. Well, it's the same with the ECU, except the ECU is considerably more complicated...

[Edited by nom - 21/06/2003 09:15:10]

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2003, 09:28 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

...and the map it arrives with is NOTHING I'd drive around with...

The trouble with the link isn't the performance bit, it's setting up the every day stuff...cold starts, stable-ish idle with aircon going on/off - the boring bit.

Boost control is a bit fiddly as well, and I deeply recommend that you let something else than the link do that (myself I use a dawes with extremely good results) . you'll start to hate the constant compromising.

If you don't want to spend the next year or so fiddling with it (that is IF you've got some knowledge about how engines work), taking small steps one at a time - get Rawle to sort it.

/J
Old 22 June 2003, 08:16 PM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

Ah well - thanks for the advice guys.
Back to the drawing board.
Problem is with a 98 car there isn't an easy solution like ecutek & every other option is at least double the cost.
A grand and a half (& that's the cheapest) for a custom map is not a good option !
The most cost effective option would be to take the mods off sell it & buy a newer one, dammit.
Old 23 June 2003, 12:55 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Mark,
Have you seen this in Drivetrain: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=222174

Some discution over my98 modding
Old 23 June 2003, 10:39 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Smile

You could try and buy a second hand Link ECU setup like i did and then get it mapped.
Worked out cheaper and the result is truely awesome.