Notices

Hesitation/jerking while cruising...

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2003, 11:27 PM
Father Xmas
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting hesitation/jerking while on a steady cruise. It is really annoying more at the present and want to track down the cause.

My local workshop have replaced the plugs and fuel filter, but the problem is still there.

Any ideas?
Old 14 June 2003, 12:04 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

What year and what model scoob?

Tony
Old 14 June 2003, 12:46 AM
Father Xmas
Scooby Newbie

MY00, 2000 classic.
Old 14 June 2003, 05:07 AM
fanatik
Scooby Newbie

Hmm I also have a MY00 classic and notice some hesitation if I accelerate slowly (no turboing) say to 40mph or hold it steady. Its not much, but it's definitely there. It's not noticable if I am accelerating heavily or going quicker

My brother thinks it could be the air filter or possibly that the injectors need a clean.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
James.

edited because its 5 am and i cant type now... :-)

[Edited by fanatik - 6/14/2003 5:09:21 AM]
Old 15 June 2003, 09:30 AM
zoton
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Okay I have a 99MY UK Turbo and I have the same but only on warming up. The point of mentioning this was I got no error codes at the dealers. Plugs changed and I'm living with it but hoping it doesn't start during overtaking

I had a HT lead which was burnt a little,it might be worth changing all your leads??
Old 15 June 2003, 05:01 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

When warming up...
the ECU apparently switches to using the lambda sensor before it (the sensor) has reached operating temperature, so the car runs lean & jerks. It's a 'built-in' fault & you're more likely to have a fault if the car isn't doing this as it means it's ignoring the input from the lambda...
Also, the standard MY00 has a lean spot at spool-up (especially the AE802 ECU I believe, which is the prominent one on the MY00s) which can give 'hesitation' under gentle acceleration.
At a steady cruise, jerking/coughing type stuff is typically the car running lean - I find any mixture less that 15.9:1 does this, & I think other cars get upset at any less than 15.4:1 (the mixture should be - as far as the catalyst is concerned, anyway - at 14.7:1 which the ECU 'rocks' back & forth over using the lambda sensor for information). I thought that lamda sensors typically read rich when wearing out rather than lean, though, although I'm not 100% convinced! Someone out there may well know better
Old 15 June 2003, 06:42 PM
bandyandstrange
Scooby Regular

i have this problem also on my car and have traced it to the air con pump every time it switches on you have a little engine speed loss at light throttle then when the compressor switches off the engine slightly speeds up not very refind the a/c on scooby have checked with my friends scooby with a/c it does the same also can be a right pain in traffic jams moving slowly etc