Notices

ECU Upgrade Differences

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2003, 10:21 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Simple one this, but I'm posting it here since Scooby drivers have been doing this kind of thing longer than us CTR drivers and so are more experienced.

(Excluding anything to do with cost)

Which would you choose, an HKS FCON S or a Unichip?

Why?

The reason for asking is that I've just had an FCON S fitted to my CTR and it's fantastic. Problem is of course that since I'm one of the first to do this there's no comparison and so 80% of people immediately fire back with 'You should have waited for the xXx ECU it's much better!'

Thanks

Laurence
Old 13 June 2003, 05:05 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

The point is you could have "waited"!
You could have "waited" till the STI 9 or the next shape CTR came out, but you didn't because you wanted it now

If your happy that's all that matters!!

[Edited by Dyney - 6/13/2003 5:05:39 PM]
Old 13 June 2003, 05:35 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is an fcon a full replacemnt ecu?

if so that would be my choice..

David
Old 13 June 2003, 05:57 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Dyney, that's my attitude as well. Go for what makes you smile

The thing is that I did loads of research before getting the HKS as I had a REALLY bad experience with 'another' type of chip (not the Super variety) on my Scooby which nearly put me off.

What I thought is that since the Scooby community are likely to have been using these products for a lot longer than the CTR community I just wondered about plusses and minuses. Not because I'm unhappy but just so that I can argue more successfully.

I may have moved manufacturer for my car but I still come back here for advice on mods as no-one does it better than a Scooby owner IMO

BTW: Neither is a complete ECU replacement. I decided against that as the piggyback type will do what I want and I won't be modifying far enough to fully take advantage of a full ECU replacement. They are not as common for a CTR yet remember and so still expensive with downsides such as bad starting, lumpy cold tickover, disabled immobiliser, no aircon.

Laurence
Old 13 June 2003, 05:57 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Dyney, that's my attitude as well. Go for what makes you smile

The thing is that I did loads of research before getting the HKS as I had a REALLY bad experience with 'another' type of chip (not the Super variety) on my Scooby which nearly put me off.

What I thought is that since the Scooby community are likely to have been using these products for a lot longer than the CTR community I just wondered about plusses and minuses. Not because I'm unhappy but just so that I can argue more successfully.

I may have moved manufacturer for my car but I still come back here for advice on mods as no-one does it better than a Scooby owner IMO

BTW: Neither is a complete ECU replacement. I decided against that as the piggyback type will do what I want and I won't be modifying far enough to fully take advantage of a full ECU replacement. They are not as common for a CTR yet remember and so still expensive with downsides such as bad starting, lumpy cold tickover, disabled immobiliser, no aircon.

Laurence