Notices

OIL used sti 8

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2003, 11:13 PM
flatfour0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My sti 8 has done 1250 miles since 1000mile service(ppp1800miles.) Checked oil to day and it has gone to below half way on the dip stick. Had new cars before and this has never happend (not scoobys).Had a my97 for 2 years never used a drop.
Is this normal for new turbo charged engines?
Also what oil is best to top up with or sould i go back to dealer and get oil of him as it is same stuff. I think thay put shell oil in it at 1000-miles.
Got to go back to dealer 2mo anyway because thay messed up my back seat when thay fitted fuel pump for ppp!
Old 13 June 2003, 08:17 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Don't worry mate until the rings seat completely against the cylinder walls some oil consumption is normal, I also had the same in my brand new WRX03 between 1-2K miles and I believe oil level still "drops" on the dipstick (if it's on the lower mark you need 300-500ml of same brand/type oil with your dealer).
I have been suggested from known mechanics that is pretty normal this for Impreza engines.
Hope this calms you!
Cheers
JIM
Old 13 June 2003, 10:47 AM
flatfour0
Scooby Regular

Thanks for letting me no. I'm off to the dealer in a min to see about some more oil.
Also i am a ex manhanic (HONDA & FORD) but never had any prods with them using oil. I no the excuses dearlers give and was hoping if other people had same prodlems with there carsit would help when i went back to see them if thay tried to fob me off.
THANKS
Old 13 June 2003, 10:48 AM
flatfour0
Scooby Regular

Thanks for letting me no. I'm off to the dealer in a min to see about some more oil.
Also i am a ex manhanic (HONDA & FORD) but never had any prods with them using oil. I no the excuses dearlers give and was hoping if other people had same prodlems with there cars it would help when i went back to see them if thay tried to fob me off.
THANKS
Old 14 June 2003, 12:00 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Did you own a turbo car before?
You should worry if oil consumption continues after 5-8000kms (this is my opinion of course)!
I believe no one checks oil level in his new car until it goes to dealer for first oil change thus all people claims that His car doesn't use oil during running in period - have a look in this and thread.
JIM
Old 15 June 2003, 10:40 PM
flatfour0
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jim. New car you no what its like!!
andy