Notices

Apex Power FC

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2003, 01:13 PM
Mad4it
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anybody shed some light on what advantages the Apex Power FC has over the Super - AFC?

Obviously, there is the obvious control of controlling the timing, but, any advice, recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

We are looking to run over 400bhp, with 740/850cc injectors.

Does the E.C.U have any restrictions etc etc
Old 03 June 2003, 02:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need the add on boost control kit or an AVC-R or other method of boost control.

The S-AFC will be limited because of lack of independent timing/fuelling adjustment. You also can't change rev limits, fuel cuts and lots of compensation tables like you can a full ECU. This would be a dead end for your needs IMHO.

Power FC would be a far better choice.

If going for aftermarket ECU with that sort of power go for something with speed-density rather than MAF based mapping. I hear there is an adaptor kit for the Power FC to allow this?

Have a look at the competition from GEMS, Link, MoTeC, Autronics, Microtech as well.
Old 03 June 2003, 02:19 PM
Mad4it
Scooby Regular

John - Thanks

We currently have the S-AFC and AVCR, and they work well. The s-afc controls the fueling well, having a hi and lo map facility to alter the fuelling.

I have considered other alternatives, but are particularly fond of the Apexi stuff.

I just wondered how much the car could be improved by having control over the timing.

Old 03 June 2003, 02:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will be falling overyourself trying to get the right timing with big injectors with an S-AFC. You will be dropping the MAF voltage to keep the mixtures correct, this will massively advance the ignition. Usually you have to retard the ignition on a big turbo/FMIC running higher boost. I predict a nightmare trying to do this with an S-AFC. You absolutely need independent timing control.
Old 03 June 2003, 02:33 PM
Mad4it
Scooby Regular

Thanks John.

Old 03 June 2003, 03:21 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, yes I wasn't thinking straight last night when I mailed you Dan. John is correct when he says the Apexi will advance the ignition when compensating for larger injectors.

I would take the PowerFC over the link at the power levels you're looking at. Unless you go for the Link Plus which has more load rows on the fuel/ign maps (10 vs 6) but needs the loom doing as its not a plug in unit (PowerFC is a plug in).

Also, contact Disco at Imprezive motorsport www.imprezive.co.uk as I beleive he has a microtech solution in the pipeline. I think it's a plug in job, and would be ideal.

paul
Old 03 June 2003, 04:07 PM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

Ive had a PowerFC installed in my wrx95, an all i can say is that its awsome, sorry its not a technical post, but i was so impressed with the boost curve and the fuel setup that i had to share it, no flat spots, great feed in on the boost and holds it right the way up the rev range.

great alround ecu

cudos to the guys and gurl at RC Developments.....top job
Old 03 June 2003, 04:52 PM
Trevor B
Scooby Newbie

I am with john on this you will be falling over yourself trying to use your existing kit. Also where are you going to be getting your mapping done? I had my Apexi done at R.B.Motorsport in lancs, the majority of their work is skyline based, but they really know their stuff and the map in my car is absolutely brilliant. If you want any more info on Apexi Power FC's i suggest you have a look on www.gtr.co.uk/forum/ a lot of them use apexi and that is where RB Motorsport was reccomended to me.