leaking rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2003, 12:33 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

i have a sport MY02 scooby, getting water under rear spoiler had to bung up electrics hole with silicon to stop the water getting in the boot, it's a high spoiler like the sti version but a 2 peice design. On the second spoiler now but still same problem.... anyone else experiancing the same ??? Does not seem to sit tight on the boot, the water seeps under and when you open the boot about 3 pints of water rushes out !!!!! driving me insane !!!! Going back to dealer to have it refitted but fail to see that will solve the problem !! Anyone having the same ??? or any good suggestions please. Simon
Old 03 May 2003, 01:46 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I have an STI 5 spoiler on my classic and it has recently been refitted after a respray. It now leaks a small amount on the nearside. I think it gets in where the brake light wire enters the boot. Its going back next week and I'm going to get them to unload about 3 tubes of silicon in it! That should sort it!!!

Happy splashing!
Old 03 May 2003, 02:33 PM
MattyC
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

ME TOO! i have an 01 with prodrive style single mould spoiler similar problems, tracked the leak doen to where the 2 cables enter the boot for brake light, put a small amound of silicone on the hole and this seems to have solved the problem, hope this helps! it wouldn getin there in the first place if the spoiler was a better fit....

Anyway it acts like a massive water butt if you park up a slight incline, open the boot to fast and it fills the boot up!!

Matt
Old 03 May 2003, 02:54 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Thanks gents for the input, i have bunged that electrical hole up with silicon already thats stopped it flooding the boot out, my dealer got a hardboard wheel cover and carpet ordered for the boot as they are water damaged... all under warrenty i will add, the spoiler will be coming off again shortly to be refitted, my concern is the water collecting under it all the time i am not at all happy about that.... and your right if you open boot to quick it all floods out from under the spoiler and goes in the boot !!!!!
perhaps a rear hanging basket would be in order, yes matt fed straight from the water butt.... you just do not expect these problems on a new car !!!! long live silicon !!!!!
Old 03 May 2003, 05:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Just fitted my own V6 spoiler to a classic, and NO probs.
Get your dealer to bed the whole thing in a sealant/adhesive called "Puriflex". It comes in black, grey, and I think, white.
The beauty of Puriflex is that, unlike silicone, you can really go to town with it, putting a layer under the spolier, blobs here and there, and a ring round every hole, Then when you tighten down and it squeezes out all over, you just clean it off with loads of paper towel, (I used a whole roll) and white spirit. this allows you to get a good seal, a good finish, waterproof, and leave it looking good at the same time. Try that with silicone!
Puriflex sets like silicone, flexible, but unlike silicone, it CAN be overpainted if you want, and once set, you'd have to tear the boot lid off to remove the spoiler.
It is also known as "Cicaflex"(sp?)
I have no connection with the stuff, other than as a very satisfied user.
Alcazar
Old 04 May 2003, 12:32 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Thanks Alcazar i will check that sealer out...... think i may let the dealer just re-mount it for now and see what happens,but i will certainly talk to them about sealing it on if i still have the same problem again, not expecting it to work i must admit so i will stick the bugger on if it still plays up !!!!