Notices

Scraping noise when moving

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2003, 06:23 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today the car started making a scraping noise wheneve it is moving, even at really low speed. Pretty sure it ain't the brakes cos it makes no difference if the brakes are applied or not and the discs/pads are only about 3k old.

Seems to get worse when turning left, and sometimes it almost disappears when driving straight but can then reappear randomly. It can also have a kind of rubbery scraping sound at times.

Had a look around and can't see anything out of place. I think it's coming from the front of the car. The gearbox and rear diff oils were changed a few weeks back (Syntrax) and the car has been fine since, checked the gearbox oil level and there's plenty in it plus the gearchange feels good.

Any ideas? I'm afraid to use the car until I can work this out. Cheers.
Old 28 April 2003, 06:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you've checked the plastic undertrays haven't come loose?

Stefan
Old 28 April 2003, 06:36 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Had a look underneath and I can't see anything loose or out of place etc. Haven't had a chance to use ramps for a proper look though.
Old 28 April 2003, 06:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get someone to drive it slowly while you have a listen from outside. See if you can identify if it's coming from the wheels or inside the engine bay.

There's not too much underneath that could drag on the ground or interfere with the wheels.

What about the wheel arch lining or something around the calipers?

If there's a slight incline, try rolling it very slowly without the engine running.

Stefan
Old 28 April 2003, 11:03 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Ok mate will give it a shot, thanks for the help. Pretty sure it's something to do with the wheels or brakes cos I can rev the engine at standstill and it sounds fine.

Would you say from the sound it won't be a driveshaft or wheel bearing etc. I've never heard a knackered one of those so don't know what it would sound like.
Old 29 April 2003, 12:19 AM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

Can't help, but i think I've got the same problem!!
Old 29 April 2003, 08:00 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Proberly a bit off rust dropped off Disc down inside Caliper mt8 or back plate rubbing on Disc . Turn engine off and just push it slowly to determine which wheel its coming from ,I dont think its anything to woory about thou mate. Heres hoping 4 u anyway.

Steve
Old 29 April 2003, 05:22 PM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had a similar problem, not much noise in a straight line but a scraping noise when turning-especially left. Asked the dealer to check bearings etc but they were ok, I then found the noise changed when i dabbed the brakes during cornering. When i stripped the brakes i found the inside pads had seized in the calipers and had to skim the discs but the noise has disapeared.
Another possibility is a loose plastic wheelarch liner-had this one as well.
Hope this is some help.
Old 29 April 2003, 10:49 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the wheel bearing make have collapsed, and as mentioned the rotor is scraping on the caliper brace. This happened to my car without warning and you couldn't tell it was flogged out until we took the hub off.
Old 30 April 2003, 12:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I've had this twice on my car, and both times it was a small piece of grit that became wedged between the disc and it's back plate!
I found which wheel it was coming from, and removed the wheel, then used a small screwdriver to pry it loose.
Alcazar
Old 30 April 2003, 05:33 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Result! Got the car onto ramps today, was having a look and couldn't find anything slack or dodgy looking until I noticed what looked like a tiny piece of rust hanging off the brake shield. Of course this turned out to be the tip of the iceberg that was a great big stone! Wedged it out with a screwdriver and all is well and quiet again (apart from the exhaust note ).

Many thanks for the help guys, it's a great relief to find that an expensive sounding noise is actually something trivial
Old 01 May 2003, 02:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Exactly what I thought........twice!
alcazar