Notices

Immobilizer system on UK STI

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2003, 05:59 PM
azscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help here guys. I live in the USA and have a US spec 2002MY WRX. I purchased a JDM Spec STI Type RA spec C engine. I have installed the engine into the car. Pics are located here if you would like to see the job:

http://www.azaudi.org/clark/RAswap/

My US ecu along with a Utec computer starts and runs the engine. I have no AVCS and I have a short rev limit of only 7000 rpm. Even with the UTec the stock ECU's maps are far off for this RA engine.

I have taken on the task of wiring in an STI ECU to gain control over the AVCS and to have a better basis to start on. It has been a very long three week process. It seems that the STI ECU pinouts are very well kept. I ran into many people that refused to help me.Thats old news as I have obtained the UK,AUS,and JDM STI ECU pinouts and block diagrams. The JDM one is being converted to english now.

I purchased several STI ECU's. These ECU's are code "3D". They are known as the "AG820" ECU. This ECU was sold on the 2001MY STI V7 sold in the UK. I have identified the pinout changes to make this ECU work in the US car. They changed the Igniton wire, AC wire, Fuel pump control wire and of course, the AVCS wires.

After completing the wiring the car will not start. I used Delta Dash to retrieve a code about the IMM system. Some research turned up the fact that the UK cars have an Immobilizer system. The ECU reads a chip in the key from what I was told.

Is there a way to disable the Immobilzer system?

I have the ECUTek flash system to program Factory Denso ECU's. The ECUtek system includes a tool to recode UK ECU's to new Keys. If I had a Key I could tape the Key to the top of the ECU cover, recode it and leave it there for ever... The car should start.. correct?

How could I obtain a V7 STI immobilizer key? Maybe some of you have a spare you would like to sell (with key shank ground off of course). Maybe someone lives near a wrecking yard and can obtain one for a fee. Maybe someone works at a dealer and could get me one... Ect.. Being in the US its a hard thing to get. I called a UK Subaru dealer and they would not even speak to me about this.

If someone could give me some background on the system, How it works or any information I would be very thankfull. If someone is willing to help me obtain the key I would be sure to make it worth your while. Maybe I can get a part for you or work a trade.

My other option is to purchase a V8 Code ECU from the 2002my JDM STI. These ECU's did not have the IMM system. Before purchasing this ECU I wanted to make this plea for help...

Thank you!

Clark
Old 08 April 2003, 06:22 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I don't know any of the techical details, but all the UK cars from around '97 have had a "transponder" immobiliser system. There is a small antenna around the ignition barrell which the ECU uses to read the key. You'd probably need to get a hold of one of these and connect it up to the ECU in the appropriate way, then you could simply leave the transponder chip taped to the antenna if you wanted and it would effectively be bypassed.

I doubt attaching it directly to the ECU would work because it doesn't have an antenna there for reading the code.
Old 08 April 2003, 07:16 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

paul is correct there and there are also 2 codes to program the key in with and to add a new key you have to program all the keys at the same time. if you need the codes i can give them to you just send me an e-mail
Old 08 April 2003, 09:22 PM
Fifi
Scooby Newbie

Hi Clark,

I got lucky with my STI IV transplant. Found out about the immobilizer during my install, but was lucky to find out that I didn't have it. I have STI IV and 5 diagrams that show the immobiliser if you need them, if you go to the Japanese Yahoo auction site, there are many ecu's for sale there (problem is you need someone in Japan to but one for you, but I know someone who can do that).

You can check out my project at http://www.innovativelogic.com/car/index.html