Notices

HELP!! MY00 has a hole underneath the back seat!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2003, 07:11 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Dear All, I need your urgent help!
Today while installing my rear upper strut brace on MY00 sedan, it happend. I already took out the rear seats and the backrest to get access for my rear strut brace. While placing my elbow in the mittle part on the chassis (where the back seat used to be), I suddenly heard a strange noise. Uups, I then realized that I just used my elbow to put a hole about the size of 2 inches in diametre into the chassis (it's about there, where a third person would sit on the backseat). It is some carton thingy which cracked. Now I can see through the hole, directly to the street!! Since I might leave the rear seats away in the future, I was wondering if anybody has some suggestions of how to fix this little hole. Carbon? Fiberglass? Tips and replies are very welcome!! In the meantime I fixed it with some plasic scotch tape and put the rear seat back together. HEEEELLLPPP!!!
(Oh, and please don't give me comments like: "get a diet")
Old 25 February 2003, 11:11 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine (impreza club germany) thought that I might have pushed a rubber plug, plastic cap through the hole, which subaru puts in their cars after they paint them (paint draining/rinsing hole?). I still can hardly believe that this happend to me, I guess I couldn't have targetted this hole more precisely. Does anybody have any clue? There is no way that it might be rusty (MY00)! Has anybody done a full repaint job on his impreza to give me some hints or info.
Old 26 February 2003, 09:09 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

it could quite easily be a plastic bung, they are all over modern cars, remove ur spare wheel there will be something similar at the bottom of the well... surely u can tell just by looking at the hole wether it was properly cut, it will be circular, if it was rust the edges will be ragged where the metal has given way, can u compare to another impreza...

cheers
Old 26 February 2003, 11:16 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Fivepint!!
This morning I went to the nearest Subaru Garage and yes, it was one of those chassis holes that I hit with my elbow. I must have pushed out the rubber plug while leaning on it. Anyway, due to the covering, clued carpet I didn't see right away the clean edges of the stock hole, it looked really bad. It kinda looked as if you would punch a finger through a 1 mm thick carton, resulting with cracks towards the center of the hole. Luckily, the garage had one of those round rubber plugs in stock and could fix it right away. The repairing costs of £ 2.00 changed my shocked face back to a smiling one.
Old 27 February 2003, 10:32 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

hehe congrats, all that worry for nothing eh?!?! lol

Cheers