Notices

I'm female and I've not git a clue

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2003, 07:33 AM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm picking up my very first Impreza on friday, trading in the old Vectra shhhhh. I've read on some of the postings about turbo timers but being a woman and blonde I'm a bit confused. Am I right in thinking after I've been out in the car I have to sit on my drive for a minute or so to let the turbo cool down ? The car I'm getting is a Impreza UK Turbo. Also has anyone got any general advice I need to know about before I go and break it ? Cheers everyone.
Old 12 February 2003, 07:46 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Midge welcome to the world of Scoobs, as far as the turbo timer works you can switch of the car take you key out and the car will carry on running for the time you have set on the Turbo Timer. These are only worth while if you drive like crazy and then get back to your house and can't be arsed sitting in the car whilst cooling the car down. The best way is to just drive normally for the remainder of your journey and the engine and turbo will be fine to jsut turn off.
Old 12 February 2003, 08:00 AM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Hi, Thanks very much for that very quick reply.....can't see the car getting booted much with me driving it :-) So I guess I've got no worry's when it comes to the turbo. Just drive it normal. I was very impressed with the test drive, the sales man took me out and I felt like I was in a road going aeroplane :-) WHOOOSSHH
Old 12 February 2003, 08:35 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Hi, ive not got a turbo timer on mine ...i just make sure i back off a bit over the last 1/4 mile, giving the turbo chance to slow down, and then give it 20 seconds or so and then switch off.

Welcome to the community ..

Frank
Old 12 February 2003, 08:39 AM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Frank, its great to be here and everyone is so friendly. I have lots of questions being new to Subaru's the one thing that I was really curious about is I've seen lots of talk about PPP's I know its dumb but what is PPP ?
Old 12 February 2003, 08:49 AM
Jasy T
Scooby Regular

Midge,

Welcome aboard - PPP stands for Prodrive Performance Pack or something like that.

Jason
Old 12 February 2003, 09:11 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Don't touch the accelerator pedal when starting the car.

That's my little gem of advice.

Good luck and welcome to Scoobynet

Trending Topics

Old 12 February 2003, 09:53 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

The merits of the PPP (backbox/silencer, intercooler pipework and Prodrive ECU) has been discussed to death on this forum.

A fair few say it's expensive for what you get, but advisable if you don't want warranty hassles.

For a car out of warranty though, mixing and matching the 3 (or 4 if you want equal length headers, or 5 if you include the up-pipe) exhaust sections and getting the car remapped by an ECUTEK ecu is probably cheaper and arguably more effective.
Old 12 February 2003, 04:28 PM
Derek FKS 85
Scooby Regular

My advice is to just enjoy the whole thing. Welcome!
Old 12 February 2003, 04:42 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for all the advice....your stars.....Louise.
Old 12 February 2003, 05:10 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Louise.

Nice way to go ....

Where it does pay to be turbo-wise is say when doing a long non-stop fast warm day motorway run and decide to pull into the services for a break to stretch your legs and immediately switch off. Most times no harm done but there will be occasions when the turbo will "cook" in its own heat which at best is harmful to bearings and worst, you get a crack(s) in the main body housing of the turbo itself or both. Expensive to rectify. These guidelines apply equally to any turbo-charged power plant.

Get into the habit of driving "off boost" for the last mile or so of a fast journey, rather less for others and you should never have any problems.
Old 12 February 2003, 05:14 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

HI MGJohn.....Whats off boost ? Sorry to sound dim :-)
Old 12 February 2003, 05:34 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

My only words of wisdom is to NOT ever start modding it. You'll never be able to stop and won't be able to sleep at nights thinking of inlet temps, knocks, transmission problems and the lot. I'm at the "I want to change my pistons and rods" stage.
Old 12 February 2003, 06:08 PM
motomc1
Scooby Regular

she will be able to strip the hole engine down at this rate people
lmao
Old 12 February 2003, 07:36 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Midge,

What's “off boost”? .. Very reasonable question from someone without previous "turbo" experience....

Remember when you wrote:

>> I was very impressed with the test drive, the sales man took me out and I felt like I was in a road going aeroplane :-) WHOOOSSHH <<

That WHOOOSSHH is the turbo-charger doing its stuff!

Off boost is none of that "WHOOOSSHH" effect malarkey as you approach your destination! ...

More seriously, any boost, particularly sustained boost is to be avoided on “warm down” at end of run ….. All you do is adjust your driving towards the last mile or so of your journey by gradually reducing your engine speed so that your engine is not being "force fed" by the turbocharger. When you get your car and then have a few miles under your belt, you'll know exactly what is meant by "off" boost. For those without much mechanical "sympathy" (empathy? - plenty of such drivers about), a boost gauge will provide the required information but, not strictly necessary.

If you're still a little uncertain, perfectly understandable, ask that nice salesman chappie (or chappess ... ) when you collect your car to explain on/off boost. Better still, get them to take you for a little spin and demonstrate "on" or "off" boost. That should do it ...

Shame you're so far "oop norf" otherwise be delighted to demonstrate turbo techniques for you ....

MG"5 turbos"John

Old 12 February 2003, 07:55 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
Midge
lo there hope u dont mind i ve added u to my icq

just got to ask u we r having a meet on the 2 march near e/midlands airport u r more than welcome to come along + it will give the car a good run there r 4 or 5 of us going down from mansfield uu can run down with us if u want

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=168959&Page=1

welcome and enjoy

simon
Old 12 February 2003, 10:31 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm not ready to drop the engine out just yet motomc1, I doubt I'd beable to change a wheel without doing it wrong :-)
Old 12 February 2003, 10:32 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Just authorised ICQ Simon, you'll have to drop me a message so I can put you on my contact list aswell.

Louise.
Old 12 February 2003, 10:50 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Louise,
I normally arrive home, take my seat belt off, then put the disclok on the steering wheel, that takes a little while, then I switch the engine off, that should be adequate for all but the madest driver.
Enjoy.
Ron.
Old 12 February 2003, 10:55 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Louise,

Watch this lot, lol. No seriously some good advise being offered for a Scooby newbie. Don't worry to much about the car, they are very robust. Remember not to floor the car, and drive off boost when the car is cold. Wait at least 15 mins on a cold morning, after that oil and everything will be warm.

If you been driving the car hard, let the engine and turbo cool before you switch the engine off. A couple of mins should be fine. Scoobies get very hot

The main thing is to enjoy the car, they are great. Go along to a meet or a track day and have a chat with people that are passionate about the cars they drive!!!

Cheers Phill C

PS Welcome aboard
Old 12 February 2003, 11:08 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Ron & Phill for the advice....bit of a problem this sitting and waiting for the car too cool down if the shops are about too close :-) I hope the previous owner treat it well, it will certainly be well loved here. Weird thing is before I bought it I never saw many scoobs around here much but in the last 2 or 3 days they have become as common as S**T. Got to compete with the EVO neighbour.
Old 12 February 2003, 11:21 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

always the way midge. never see one until u buy one then the ******* crawl out from the woodwork and it seems like the world and his wife has one. just wait until fellow scooby drivers start to wave and flash thier lights at ya.

cheers

big sinky
Old 12 February 2003, 11:31 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Hi Big Stinky

I'm cringing now about the waving :-) but I'm used to that the other half has a fireblade and he looks like a nodding dog from the back....makes me giggle cos bikers nod and wave to owt, even plaggie 90's.....I'll be nice though and give all the scoobs a wave thats if they don't blow pashed me like a whirlwind.
Old 12 February 2003, 11:47 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Hi Big Stinky
hey who r u callin stinky!!

thats ure card marked my girl

cheers

big SINKY
Old 12 February 2003, 11:52 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry Sinky thats me not looking right or have I drunk too much. How do you get those little smiley faces, there cute
Old 13 February 2003, 08:13 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Hiya Midge,

Don't worry about being female and askin' lots of questions - I've lost track of all the things I've asked on this board!

Btw, smilies: Just take the spaces out...

: ) =
: ( =
: D =
: cool : =
: mad : = [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
: confused : =
: rolleyes : =

lots more here: http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/

Jen
Old 13 February 2003, 08:14 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Oh -the most important one as well!

: p =
and ; ) =
Old 13 February 2003, 09:31 AM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 13 February 2003, 09:34 AM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Hi Jen,

Cheers for the smilies

Louise.
Old 13 February 2003, 09:37 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

You must wave to other scooby drivers it's the law. Oh and another thing you'll need a stainless steel back box (or full decat ) and some smilie faces for your car, as they are also the law

Enjoy. Cheers Phill C

Quick Reply: I'm female and I've not git a clue