Notices

Smoking.....

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2003, 11:05 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had both rocker gaskets replaced as I was getting the rather embarrasing case of smoke bellowing out from the bonnet and the awful smell. The garage have assured me that they have tested the gaskets and they are deffo not leaking. However, brought the car home today from the garage and hey presto more smoke. I can see that the oil appears to have soaked into the exhaust wrap. Now I am not sure as to whether the bl00dy gaskets are indeed still leaking or whether the smoke is from the oil that continues to reside in the wrap or whether I have a leak somewhere else ? Has anyone else suffered with this problem? and if so is there a way I can clean the exhaust wrap ? and does anyone have any ideas where else I should be looking for an oil leak.

Thanks in advance
Old 07 February 2003, 10:19 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Nelson

I had exactly the same problem as you mate!!

I took my MY95 to Mainland Subaru in Widnes who were brilliant in sorting it out for me.

Both my Rocker Gasket covers were leaking, I'd take my car out of the garage at home and find pools of oil on the floor - and the embarassment of oily smoke coming from the bonnet scoop.

Mainland replaced both my Rocker covers and also breather seals etc but 5 minutes after I picked it up it was doing exactly the same. Took it straight back to Mainland who had the car for another week, took off the timing belt cover etc and changed the crank seals, cleaned it all off and it seems to be okay now.

I have ran the car for about 400 miles since getting it back (ran it in progressively and now back to full power again) and still no leaks.

I suspect they used some sort of sealant to re-seal the Gasker Covers as that is where the second leak was coming from.

Take it back and ask them to re-seal the covers with a sealant.

Cheers

Paul
Old 07 February 2003, 02:25 PM
SDUKES
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem, getting the gasket covers done seems to push the oil out of the crank case oil seal if its a bit worn. Getting mine done soon £120ish
Old 07 February 2003, 04:09 PM
Nick n Jewels
Scooby Regular

Check the crank seal, that's what ours was.

The pipe to the oil cooler also might be suspect too, if it drips even a spot of oil onto the exhaust it will create smoke and smell acidic

J
Old 07 February 2003, 05:57 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the replies guys. The crank seal makes sense and why it would fail if it is weak. I am not particularly techy so could you kindly enlighten me on where the oil cooler pipe resides, please ? in other words if I climb underneath what am I looking for.

many thanks