Notices

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2003, 06:35 PM
mattscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1999 IMPREZA TURBO, ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THE TYPE OF MODIFICATIONS THAT I COULD MAKE? DOES CHANGING THE EXHAUST MAKE A DIFFFERNCE? ALSO WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DUMP VALVES?
Old 03 February 2003, 04:39 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

mattscooby,
Welcome to the Scooby clan

A full de-cat exhaust is the best place to start
The cats strangle the air flow from the engine so the biggest gains can be had from fitting a straight through exhaust.

Next I would recomend a replacment panel air filter, I would stear clear of induction kits for your year as the MAF sensor (black box on the side of the filter housing) is known to be fagile with these fitted.

Dump valves don't increase performance (you have one as std but its black plastic).
If you want the noise the Ford boy's crave on gear change then you need a VTA (Vent To Atmosfear) or if you just want to spend money on something shiney get the re-circulating one, this does the same as the std plastic one but is better built and looks

Get along to one of the local meets (see Southern section) then you can see what others have done and hear what they thought of it before you make your choice. You really do need to hear exhausts before you buy one
I think the Hants lot are organising a rolling road day too if you fancy seeing what the mods can do. I'm sure you'll be more than welcome to pitch up to watch

Iain.
Old 03 February 2003, 04:42 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

I'm selling an ITG panel filter for £25 (£28 posted) Let me know, these are usually £40 + P&P

Mines done about 1000 miles.

Bought mine from scoobyworld

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolley.../index.htm#itg
Old 03 February 2003, 04:57 PM
FiveO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't want to rain on anyones parade but other than making a nice induction noise replacement air filters from the likes of K&N etc don't do much.

The best value would have to be a replacement exhaust down pipe and backbox. Braided brake hoses and maybe a quickshift gear linkage.
Old 03 February 2003, 05:00 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

other than making a nice induction noise replacement air filters from the likes of K&N etc don't do much
ITG filter doesn't increase induction noise and I did notice a difference after fitting it. It's a replacement panel filter meaning you keep the original air box.
Old 03 February 2003, 08:12 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Welcome Mat, my first Mod was upgrading the brakes, I seriously thought i'd kill myself otherwise

Sean