Notices

Checking Oil Level.

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2003, 08:33 AM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok yes i'm a muppet, i can't work out how to check my oil, either that or there is no oil in the engine, i check the dip stick before i have drove the car and it is bone dry, i put it back in and out again and it's bone dry..

I was told to take the car for a run and then leave it for a while and then check the oil again but it's still bone dry...

Is there any special way of checking the oil on these cars or is it the feared senario of having little oil...

Cheers guy's,

John.

Oh its a 93 Import WRX...
Old 28 January 2003, 08:55 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Not sure on dip stick differences between the models, but I doubt they'll be huge. Only owned a MY02 myself and the oil check is an unscrew job and slide it out. Should always have oil on the stick, especially after you've run it for a bit.

If its been run then take the stick out, wipe it with a bit of cloth or kitchen roll then stick it back in, pull out again and you will have an accurate reading (assuming you are on a flat surface and there is some oil in it).

If the car is sloping up or down hill you will get inaccurate readings (not sure which way on these yet but one way will show little or no oil depending in the incline).

Good luck.
Old 28 January 2003, 09:25 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always check it after a run out. When i get back i leave the car for half an hour and check it then. Dunno if this is the correct thing to do, but it's what i did after a Dealer service and the oil was a fraction below full, so i guess it can't be a bad method. This is assuming that the dealer put the right amount in of course.
Old 28 January 2003, 09:38 AM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

So how did you check it guy's, did you just pull the dipstick out and check the oil level...
Old 28 January 2003, 11:18 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, two dots near the bottom of my dip stick - should be level with the one furthest from the bottom or at the very least between the two (never below the bottom one or not even on the dip stick!)
Old 28 January 2003, 11:19 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

You should always check the oil when cold - this ensures all the oil has drained downwards. When cold the oil level should be between E and F - if you don't have any oil on the dip stick you have a problem... If memory serves there's only 0.5l between E and F so when topping up go slowly.