Notices

More Power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2003, 05:06 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MY02 +PPP at present. I must be running about 240 - 250 BHP and 260 lb/ft (unconfirmed). I would like a little more power and torque, but done as safely as possible as I know that any further mods will affect my warranty and I don't want anything to go bang.

What is the best way to extract a bit more power?

Any suggestions welcome
Old 27 January 2003, 05:31 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cool

What is it about the Scooby that means people are always looking to mod them a little bit more.

I'm with you 100% on it, MY02 WRX with PPP myself and I'm already looking at options (has it since November and 4500 miles on the clock so its running in nicely). Maybe its because there are so many differnet upgrades readily evailable. Never felt like I wanted to upgrade my Vectra V6 or anything else I've owned.... And the Scooby is fast as you like but I still fancy a bit more.

Be interested to read peoples recommendations/suggestions.
Old 28 January 2003, 12:36 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 28 January 2003, 03:36 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd be interested to hear what peoples thoughts were on a de-cat downpipe fitted with the rest of the PPP on a MY02.

Thoughts on warranty, increases in performance, increases in noise levels - also, are there any cats left in the system with a de-cat down-pipe and the PPP fitted? Would this be an emmisions problem?
Old 28 January 2003, 06:18 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

lucky_strike, I couldn't have put it better. This is what I am looking at together with possible TECH 2/3 remap? Didn't want to say because I want other peoples suggestions but this is whats on my mind.

Alternatively, I could just sod it and chop it in for a 6 month old sti7 and pay a few grand (my missus would REALLY leave me if I did this)
Old 29 January 2003, 11:32 AM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

message to lucky_strike

After doing my own research and speaking to Pete at Scoobysport (v. helpful) It seems that the next step is a decat down and up pipe. On a PPP car I am told this will rise power to 275-285 BHP.

Warranty is out the window though, so there is a price to pay. He also said increased noise is negligable.

If you want more, get it Ecutek mapped. Cost of decat is £600 ish.

I'm going to think about it
Old 29 January 2003, 02:44 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info - it's the warranty loss which is the biggy for me. Not sure I can justify loosing the warranty after paying for the PPP - could have more power for less than PPP money with other upgrade options i.e. Scoobysport De-cat exhaust and Ecutek ECU if warranty was not an issue. For me the Scooby is a company car (having opted out) and I'm doing about 24000 miles a year. Granted the chances of a problem are slim and I'll probably change it in 18 months or so but....

Also slightly concerned at the emissions without cat, I see some references to hi-flow sports cats (included with the STI PPP aparently) being availabe and wonder if this could be an option for the WRX?

I'm now starting to looking into suspension - Eibach spring kits sound interesting (and someone has just written up a bit of a report having just had them fitted to their MY02 WRX). Lowers the ride, makes it a bit more supple on normal driving but enhances handling under hard driving on the twisty bits.

Springs link - not sure how to make it clickable:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=170188