Notices

blocked midsection catpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2003, 01:10 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I picked my car up ten days ago,it,s not had much boost. Now it's making an almost blowing noise from the centre, sounds horrible. Has a scoobysport downpipe and rear box on - sounded gorgeous the first few days i have it but it seems as though the problems getting worse. Waiting to go see DRJ on wed.

Guy at ATS had a check over it today. Definitely not blowing but when it's revved hard, theres nowhere near the flow of gas out the tailpipe that there should be.

Anyone heard of a blocked midsections and of similar symptoms?

Ta Cal

[Edited by currymonster - 1/27/2003 1:12:48 AM]
Old 30 January 2003, 10:09 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

It was the scoobysport downpipe. Seems it doesnt go with a standard catted midsection. Stnadard downpipe back on and scoob is flying, happy as Mr Lawrence!

Pity scoobysport didnt warn me about this before selling it to me. Awe well maybe this'll stop someoen else making the same mistake.
The scoobysport rear box still sounds awesome.

For sale scoobysport front downpipe. Cost £223.25 2 weeks and 1k miles old. Pretty thing and a fair few Kg lighter than the standard downpipe. Yours for £175.

Doh!Double doh!

Cal
Old 31 January 2003, 08:54 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

That 'solution' sounds highly suspicious to me! A hollow tube with nothing in it is unlikely to block anything, unless it wasn't fitted correctly somehow (and I can't see that blocking any flow, just making a lot of noise).
I may be being a bit thick here - who are ATS? Is that who decided it was the downpipe?
Old 31 January 2003, 11:11 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

I would be VERY surprised that it was the Scoobysport Dp causing your problem. As stated, how can a 2.5 inch pipe get blocked or restrict flow? I think the inherent problem may lie elsewhere. Have you spoken to Pete Croney?
Old 31 January 2003, 09:09 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

It was the downpipe. DRJ removed it and put the standard one back on. I dont claim to know why, but the proof speaks for itself. Car is now flying.

I myself was puzzled, but the car sounded awful and turbo didnt spool up at all. Now the standards back on, done by a diff mechanic (DRJ motorsport Carmarthen) and the cars sorted.

I'm a scientist and in my line of work you rely on results. Looks like a result to me!

Cal ( just chuffed his MY2000 is a happy petrol guzzler again)

Old 31 January 2003, 11:21 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Ah, but as a scientist you should also be able to see the reasonable explanation that the centre cat could be blocked (quite possible), but with the vast restriction of the standard dp, it isn't noticeable. It's only when it becomes the bottleneck (when there's a free-flowing dp) that the problem comes to light.
I just can't believe that a bent tube is blocked, but can easily believe that the cat has collapsed!