Notices

Rev Limiter, removable?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 08:11 PM
Needa_Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any information on the removability of the rev limiter? I was looking to make the car able to rev to 8000rpm, is this possible? I know its going to sacrifice reliability but the car is intended for track useage.
Any information will be useful.
Cheers.
Old 11 January 2003, 08:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can reprogram some of the ECUs to a higher rev limit depends on model year.

UK pistons are considered good for 7000 RPM, STi pistons for 8000 RPM. Some WRX with similar/same as UK pistons rev to 7500 RPM ish. I am quoting here the soft initial part of the rev limiter.

Better to make you power lower down to save conrod load which is proportional to the square of RPM = SNAP!

In addition, it would be a very large turbo to actually make useful power over 8000 RPM compared to below, and the low speed RPM range would be poor. Also the cams might be poorly judged for such high revving.

Please detail the spec/year of your car and what power you aim to achieve and what you are willing to spend, and I am others will try to help a bit more specifically, but just raising the RPM limit is a bad idea, even for performance as you will probably go slower!
Old 11 January 2003, 08:38 PM
Needa_Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is a 95 series mcrae. I see what you are saying about needing new pistons and that the con rods are too weak, but my budget cannot strech to getting new uprated pistons as they are too expensive. I was just thinking about doing it as a cheap option for streching the power a bit further, but i didnt even think about it making it lose power cause of the boost not keeping up.
Cheers anyway, any suggestions to free up a bit more power? Already have Filter, exhaust and all the cheap add-ons!!!
Larger turbo's? Any one got any idea on price?
Old 11 January 2003, 08:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TD05 on your car is capable of up to 350-370 BHP and similar torque.

Look for posts from Cosie Convert (aka Andy F more recently) to see how he got this from his WRX 95 RA for about £1000 plus a lot of his own skilled time.

If you know nothing don't expect the same.

However, even his car was making peak power by 6000 RPM and he was changing up soon afterwards.

So abandon the rev limiter removal idea for what you want. Your car would just go slower and blow up.