Notices

Engine hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 07:40 PM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions needed people!
Have a 1998 turbo 2000. I was overtaking a car today, in fourth gear doing about 60mph and started to accelerate hardish. At about 3500 rpm lost all power. The car sort of stuttered. It is a bit hard to explain. The engine was still running but all boost was lost. It then did the same thing almost immediately. When it did it the first time i took my foot off the accelerator until it responded again, i then put my foot down and it did it again. Then it picked back up and was fine.
It has done this before, when driving hard through lower gears. Dealer said they had solved the problem, mentioning dump valves or something.
Old 11 January 2003, 10:21 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
where u low on fuel ?

Old 11 January 2003, 11:59 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

I have the same prob i think mate, gonna go down to a dealer on monday, i'll post here to let you know what they say if you like...

Cheers,

John.
Old 12 January 2003, 10:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Does your MY98 have any modifications?
Which fuel are you running your car on?
Was the car warmed up before you gave her a good ragging ?

Tony
Old 12 January 2003, 10:47 AM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

there is a known problem on MY00, the ECu has a hestation problem so my dealer told me when i complained about it ,and im getting a replacement , but they said it only affected MY00
Old 12 January 2003, 11:57 AM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for the suggestions people! maybe hesitation was not the right word because the car is frigging quick. But at about 3000 rpm ish, occasionally the problem develops. It's accelerating then bam, it stops.

Sonic, no the car was about 3/4 full, it was not a engine cut out or anything like that, just like a loss of boost pressure (if that is the right description). So if you imagine that back of your seat acceleration, then immediately it stopped. Took foot of the gas, ok, back on, acceleration, then did it again. Wierd!

Tony Burns, i honestly had not been driving her hard before i opened her up a bit. The car had been running for about 15 mins before it happened. No mods on the car either. Fuel is ultra low sulphur unleaded.

Greeno, if you could let me know that would be great. I had the car back to the dealer about three weeks back and they seemed to have cured the problem.
Old 12 January 2003, 04:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like overboosting but you would get that further up the rev range too.... i can only suggest that you check to see if the oil has been overfilled as you may now have a clogged wastegate pipe and this could be causing a potential problem (stab in the dark here!)

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2003, 07:21 PM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

When you say oil overfilled, Tony, i take it you mean engine oil may have been overfilled?
Old 12 January 2003, 07:40 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Bradders

I had a similar problem the other day, and not sure what it was, but it did this

2.5-3k revs boost comes in, back of yer seat acceleration, got to 4-4.5k, then no more back of the seat, just a slow gradual acceleration

That was in 2nd gear, and the same thing happened after going into 3rd

In my case
1. I hadnt driven the car for over a week, and had been driving round in a golf gti turbo
2. The petrol light was on

Once I filled up, it seem to be much better, although on saying all of this when I looked at the speedo, I was doing close to a ton

Im off to Scoobynorth on Saturday, and Tim is going to take it for a quick spin to check all is ok, oh and fit an ITG Panel Filter

Steve
Old 12 January 2003, 09:33 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Had a simular problem on my My94 Uk turbo, Had low fuel pressure & two cracked coil packs, Fitted a new Facet high flow fuel pump & 4 new coil packs, Problem is now cured & i now have accelleration when i floor it instead of cough, stutter & splutter.
Dean
Old 13 January 2003, 12:19 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

i'd go with the electrics !

either the plugs or leads breaking down or coil pack as mentioned above.

Andy
Old 13 January 2003, 09:32 AM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

definately the spark plugs or coil packs.
gap your spark plugs to 0.7mm
mine used to have a real problem cutting the power but after changing the plugs its been great ever since.
Old 13 January 2003, 11:50 AM
WiseGuy
Scooby Regular

Mines got a similar problem (MY00+PPP) but it has also been rough when idling, it seems like its going to stall but then it catches !
I've been told that it could be down to a faulty lambda sensor ?
I done a search on this and it looks like it could be the culprit
Old 13 January 2003, 11:58 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

First thing i changed after looking through previous threads was the Lambada & it made no difference. But that was in my case, Obviously it may be the root of evil in yours. I would certainly check the plug Gaps & visually inspect the coil packs for cracks as overtightening them can cause the coil pack to crack where it fits over the plug head.
Dean

[Edited by DeanF - 1/13/2003 12:00:12 PM]
Old 13 January 2003, 12:21 PM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions!

WiseGuy, mine tends to do the same as yours when idling, especially when just started. You think it is going to stall!

Took it for a spin this morning and it did not do it. Looks as if it could be intermittent.
Old 13 January 2003, 12:37 PM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same problem!

MY98, in 4th and 5th, with 4 people in the car and it kicks out at 3500rpm.

Do a search for a thread titled "3500 rpm hiccup" which I posted the other day.

I have also spoken to the dealer and they confirmed it is overboost and a fairly common problem. I cleaned out the boost solenoid yesterday and it hasn't fixed it although I did rush a bit cos of the cold :-). The dealer advised the alternative is they will fit a mod to the vacume pipe on the boost solenoid and this will fix it. (!!??)

Keep updating this thread as it would be useful to know if and how you resolve it!

cheers.

Old 13 January 2003, 03:23 PM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

Alright doobiedooo (think that's the right number of o's!).
That sounds familiar. I had mine back to the dealers two weeks back and they said they had cleaned out a blocked solenoid, although i can't remember the precise details. It did seem to solve the problem for a few weeks but reoccured the other day.

Will keep thread updated.
Old 13 January 2003, 03:39 PM
WiseGuy
Scooby Regular

Bradders

I know what you mean, mines itermitant too, I read on one of the threads that its the lambda sensor breaking down and not giving the right voltages out to the ecu, I think this then affects the MAF in some way (just quoting what I read, flame suit on)
Old 13 January 2003, 04:10 PM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

According to a previous thread titled "hiccup/missfire" Ken E says that it is a problem common after servicing. This could be the case because mine was serviced when i bought it (a month ago), hence an oil change. They then changed the oil again after i complained about excessive "tapping noises" at startup (apparently they all do it). This was a few weeks back. Have since checked the oil level and it is fairly high, so this could contribute tothe problem.
Old 13 January 2003, 11:27 PM
Huey220
Scooby Regular

Its possible its in relation to the overboost with 4.5 litre oil issue. Funny how its more common after servicing (oil change)!

Maybe do an oil change yourself and just use the 4 litres (as some suggest)? Worth a try.
Old 14 January 2003, 09:13 AM
WiseGuy
Scooby Regular

Mine was serviced at the beginning of October and the problem only started about a week ago ?