Notices

help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2002, 08:59 PM
muffitt.freeserve.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

due to get my car just after xmas with a rebuilt engine,now the origional exhaust is getting fitted to pass the mot,but once thats done and iv put the revolution full system back on,and ran it for a while and put a few miles on it,would it best to get it remapped?its got an itg panel filter as well,oh its a wrx98import,or not bother?an whos the best to basically drive the car into a garage and say map that for me mate while i wait?bit worrid though if runnin it in,any ideas?been told though the exhaust was basically the problem why its blown up twice now.what would the gains be if i did?any help appreciated,clive.
Old 24 December 2002, 11:49 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

So this is a std ECU???

If it's a std one, you can't map the Pre MY99 ECU. You'd have to get a new mapable one (Link,Motec,etc)

I would be inclined to run it with the std exhaust until it's run in, then if you must have that system, get it checked at a rolling road after fitting it!!

Did the garage say why the exhaust caused the blow up?
What damage was done?

Iain.
Old 25 December 2002, 04:12 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

If I recall correctly there is a long story behind this one, with a couple of blown engines.. There is another thread about it somwhere, but it would do no harm to take the car somewhere for a check over, after you get it back.
Due to the past failures, which seem to be linked with the current garage doing the work ( I believe you are covered under warranty this time???? ) I wouldnt trust their ability at building/repairing engines.
Im sure someone can recommend a garage local to you that can check everything out, assuming the current garage have done the job correctly this time.
Old 26 December 2002, 01:53 AM
muffitt.freeserve.co.uk
Scooby Regular

thanx for the answers guys but yes is standard ecu,put up a thread up long time ago with a lot of help,just getting closer to getting it back and getting little bit nervous,think i will run it in with the standard exhaust then try the other system,just wasnt sure if had to get it remapped when i got it back,to compensate for theexhaust and filter,its been done under the warranty but bein honest iv lost confidence now.but thanx for the help guys.anything else i could check the garage wont say wots caused the engine to blow but the only thing that was changed was the exhaust,prior to this so they said that was it.now 3200ponds later,but cheers anyway clive.
Old 26 December 2002, 09:22 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

You cannot re-prog. the standard ECU. The only easy way to add fuel would be to get a vent to atmos. dump valve. The ECU thinks that the system is running lean and just keeps throwing more fuel into the system.

But then again, I could be talking crap like normal.

Dan
Old 26 December 2002, 03:23 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Depending on what actually happened to the engine, sometimes they just go....big ends.
I however suspect that the garage doing the work played a part in the failure. They either wont say because they geniunely dont know what happened ( because they are hiding something, or are incompetent ) or that they are just looking to avoid paying for the damage as they know it was their fault.
I am not familiar with garages in England, so again, Id ask the people here to recommend someone local to you who can check the car out, who actually does know something about subarus, just in case there may be somehting amiss.