TurboXS P'n'P ECU + Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2002, 01:46 PM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,
First post to the BBS after some intensive reading. I have a MY02 WRX, brand new but intended market unknown. (Is it normal to get a Japanese language user manual as well as English?) According to the dealer (official Subaru) the power is rated at 218bhp. I have the luxury of a 6 month warranty, and have owned the car for two months, so have started planning upgrades.
The 'easiest' upgrade path seems to be the TurboXS stage 2 kit, with pre-mapped ECU, especially as there is one whole 4-wheel dyno here in the U.A.E, on which I can have the mapping etc checked. I plan to fit a boost gauge and AFR to ensure things are safe.
The main areas of concern are the fuel here (97RON) and the temperatures (50 degrees C in the summer, currently a balmy 27!)
I do not really want to take the 'HKS this, Blitz that, A'Pexi other' approach as I would be concerned as to the setup requirements and required skills.
Thought gratefully received!
Old 10 December 2002, 07:27 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Wink

My thoughts are that you're possibly asking in the wrong place! I believe that the TurboXS gear is quite highly rated in the states, but I don't know anybody over here in the UK who has it. Try asking the same question here , and you might find more people who have tried it. There are obviously some bits of the states which have a lot higher temperatures than us too.

The standard UK WRX runs OK on 95RON fuel, although it is much better on 97RON, you shouldn't have a problem with running on 97.
Old 11 December 2002, 05:29 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hades,
Thanks for that - there certainly is plenty of info on the U.S board.
I was hoping to have a conversation in English rather than American!
Is the only reason this product is not popular in the U.K the lack of distribtion, or are there equivalent U.K products I may not have found yet?
One additional issue I face is that most U.S companies will not ship to the Middle East, 'cos we all know its a war zone! (hmmm...sell the WRX and buy a Hummer????)
Old 11 December 2002, 09:33 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Neil,

I would suggest that you are very careful buying, and fitting a "pre-mapped" p&p, especially where the conditions found in your country, are very different to the UK, and US.

I would also want to look at improving the intercooler, and probably fit water injection, if the boost/power is going to be increased.

It would be worth contacting a guy called Jan Shim janshim@brunet.bn.

He should be able to give you some good advice.

Mark.
Old 11 December 2002, 01:53 PM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

R19Ket,

Thats the nail hit firmly between the eyes! My first step is to speak to the 'respected' tuning place here (has a good rep for WRX and Evo work) and see what kit they recommend and have experience with. The "plug'n'play" approach is very tempting, but probably too easy to believe, and without shipping the car to a 'normal' country (along with a container load of weather!) I'll have to go with what is locally available. Still surfing for Scoobies is more fun than working!