Boost Dims Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2002, 07:51 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Agree the headlights are poo.
The tick you are getting and then the dimness is probably your Radiator fans coming on. You can fix this by removing the earth lead that goes from the battery to just above the headlight, and cleaning away any corrosion, and replacing the lead, either with the one you took off or with a much bigger one.

I did this a few days ago, and most of my 'dimming' problems went away. The electric windows are a bit faster too!

Just still dims coming on boost....any other ideas anyone?

[Edited by Turbo_Steve - 12/8/2002 7:52:42 PM]
Old 08 December 2002, 02:24 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Red face

Anyone else had this scenario?

Dark country lane, nice cold night (doesn't seem to happen so often when it's warmer). Pootling along at 2200rpms in..ooh...say 3rd gear and put the accelerator in the carpet.

As usual, the car accelerates slowly towards the spool up point. At about 2500rpms, you hear the ECU go "TICK" as a relay cuts in, the headlights flicker once and then sssSSSSSS in comes the boost and away we fly.

Have no noticable mods to the car, other than a recently completed earth mod (which has actually made the boost come in a bit earlier and the headlights brighter, but if anything the flicker is more noticable now).

This doesn't always happen, only when the car has been driven off boost for a couple of miles and the night is cold.

Doesn't really bother me...just curious to know what it is?
Old 08 December 2002, 04:18 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I get the same on my 94 WRX. A tick from a relay under the dash somewhere and the lights dim. Didn't think it was anything to do with boost though cuz it does it sometimes when stationary. I just put it down to sh***y electrics in scoobs. Not too much of a bother cuz even when the lights are 'bright' they're hardly worth turning on anyway.
Old 07 March 2003, 09:44 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Back from the dead Thread!

Just found out that Legacy has a dual speed pump on the charge cooler. Anyone want to bet that the lights dim when the pump steps up to top speed?