Notices

Fuel surge - don't think my car gets it?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2002, 08:16 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been thinking about this fuel surge thing, and I've never let the tank go below 1/4 full because of it. Car is a MY98UK

However thinking back, when I test drove the car to buy it the gauge was so low that I was worried we'd run out in the few miles of country road I was driving thorough (the low fuel light was on as well). It was a good road with some pretty sharp bends, and the guy I bought the car off was throwing it into them with loads of confidence. We drove the road in both directions so equal amounts of sharp right and left handers.

Not once did the car splutter or anything, so considering how low the fuel was (i've heard less than 1/4 causes it) and the type of roads it seems this car won't suffer from the problem. Is it a problem on STIs? Cos the car has a lot of STI stuff fitted so maybe the fuel sender has been uprated with an improved design?

It's not a major thing cos I don't like the fuel getting too low anyway in case I can't find any SUL, but I'm just curious as to why my car doesn't suffer from the problems described by loads of others here.
Old 05 December 2002, 10:05 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Maybe the MY97/98 are a different design? In the early days of ownership my fuel guage was rarely above the 'E' and I never experienced fuel surge...

I don't really understand the term though - surely fuel starvation is what's likely to happen when the fuel gets low. Or does 'surge' describe the way the fuel swings about in the tank or something?

J

Old 05 December 2002, 10:55 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's called surge cos apparently it only happens on corners (right hand ones IIRC) cause of the fuel surging in the tank away from the pickup.

Suppose it's really fuel starvation but everyone on here calls it surge.
Old 06 December 2002, 12:27 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

Let me drive your car....trust me, I'll find your fuel surge

Easy way to find it is to go round (in dry) a medium size roundabout taking it as fast as you can and coming off at the last exit to the right. Floor it round the rounabout in say 2nd gear and down the straight after exiting. Usually if I forget about the low fuel and do this I'll eat steering wheel when on the straight! Far more violent than fuel cut IMO.