Notices

Boost Problem with a 02 STI

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2002, 02:23 PM
STIuser
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 08/2002 STI/WRX. Since I have the car I have boost spikes all the time, bone stock I had peak boost up to 1,7 bar. I thought with installing a boostcontroller and an fcd this boost spikes are history, but...... no changes at all. If I set my ebc to 1.35 bar I have boost spikes from 0.94 to 1,6 bar all the time up down up down up down....... If I set it to 0.7 bar I have 0.48 to 0.7 bar up down up down up down. I don't have any not normal noises at driving even not if I have 1,40 bar boost. I checked all hoses, t-claimbs, everything is fine. Did someone ever had a defect bov? any other suggestions?
thanks
Markus
Old 02 December 2002, 11:29 AM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

What kind of boost controller is fitted? Did you take the OE boost controller and restrictor out?

There have been reports of wastegates not able to flow enough air...but I have an idea your boost wouldn't oscillate if this were indeed the case here...
Old 02 December 2002, 02:22 PM
STIuser
Scooby Newbie

hi bruce,
yes I replaced the hose with the factory restrictor and did take out the oe boost controller. I tried 2 diffrent manual boost controller and a new hks unit. always the same result oscilating all the time.
markus
Old 04 December 2002, 06:17 PM
Scooby50WRX
Scooby Regular

Do you have a full decat line ?
Do you have those problems since the line is fitted ?
Generally, a simple mechanical boost controller solve this problem. On my STI7, a TurboSmart works perfectly and the boost can be fitted very accurately.

Some STI7 were sold with overboost problem, one in France was specially strange : it runned at quite 1.9 bar !!!

Some ways to try if you want to find the problem for yourself : find another friend's STI7 and change the wastegate first, later the bov if the problem persist and so on for the soleno...that's in case you have a decat line.

Naturally, if your car runs stock, you must go to your dealer, your car is under warranty and they have to find the problem and solve it.