Notices

Gearbox ...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2002, 04:56 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with regards this problem. This is non scooby related but vw polo related. The gf's car has encountered gearbox problems. When trying to engauge some gears they won't, simply put, engauge. When a gear is engauged say second there is a grinding (as she puts it a funny noise) only above about 30mph. I have been told that there is spring adjusters that can be altered to adjust the accruacy of selection, and that these just need adjusted???. Has anyone any thoughts on this as the gf is practically in tears with her dad telling her she needs a new gearbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers in advance.
Old 25 November 2002, 09:04 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Not to surea bout VWs, but it sounds like the synchros. They can be replaced though so its not all that bad.
Old 25 November 2002, 12:59 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

Could be a poorly adjusted clutch!!
and if it wont go in gear easy the linkage could be out of line. The slightest bit and youd not get/or struggle to get some gears!
Depending on how mechanically minded you are the linkage is not a bad job!! Rather a bit of trial and error!! If theres adjustment on the clutch, eg at the gear box or on the pedal, adjust it up abit to put more pressure on the release bearing,

Does the clucth bight at the top of releasing the clucth pedal. If so clucth goosed or nearly?

Hope This Helps
Regards Ronnie
Old 26 November 2002, 04:01 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Red face

Cheers guys,

Think the bearings in the gearbox are shot. Well pissed the car has only done 48 ,000 miles and has been well cared for. Thank **** i changed to a scooby. Here was me thinking vw quality was second to none. Well thats pish. Ever had the feeling you have been.....

Edited to add...this is a cracker.. "ahh sir, the input bearings are a common failure on this type of car". WHOOOOO!!!! Well thanks, iam so glad now its a common fault. There was me thinking it was just me. Gearbox strip downs and re-builds part of the design then. MAGIC!!

[Edited by trance - 11/26/2002 4:11:36 AM]